The Peters Mine was most likely opened in 1740 by the Ogden family and operated from 1768 until the end of the Revolutionary War. During this period the mine was worked through shafts and an adit. The mine was reopened in 1807 and again in 1837 when 50,000 tons of ore had already been produced, most if it during colonial times. The mine closed sometime before 1855.
In 1883, an opening was made called the New Peter Mine which was being worked together with a pit. In 1868 this pit was described as being 150 feet long by 50 feet wide. Both openings worked shoots of ore that joined just slightly beneath the surface. In 1884, a new shoot had been discovered but was not worked as the mine temporarily closed.