Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new projects
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:26 am 

Here is some ideas for new projects for the group.

1. Recovering the Wanamie Lokie from it''s place and restoring it or having it in some safe place awaiting restoration.
2.. Tapping some of the methane gas from some of he boreholes and selling it and making some money to fund projects.

Please email me with thoughts on these projects because I live in the Nanticoke Area and I am very proud that both of my grandfathers were coal miners and I would love to do something that could memoralize them.

sdmbrandy2@lycos.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:41 am 

Were a couple of years late on the lokie, it's allready been scrapped. As far as the methane gas goes, if this was soft coal country you could maybe get enough methane gas to sell. Here there is hardly any methane, some spots its never even been detected underground. Great ideas though!

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:09 am 

there are 2 more wanamie lokies out west somewhere however no one seems to know where they went. i followed some leads and called the guy who supposedly has them, but the ones he has are not the wanamie lokies, they came from canada and are a totally different type of locomotive. the one that was still in wanamie was scrapped in 2001. a month before we found out about that location. as for the methane, as mike said its extremely rare to find it in anthracite mines that are being mined, almost impossible in inactive mines. however there was one instance in scranton where they were doing a flushing project and the drilling rig broke through into a chamber and ignited a pocket and killed a worker near the hole. that is the only time i have ever heard of methane in an old mine. we have been checking for it in all the old mines we go in and havent had an indication of a trace ever. im sure in some sealed non ventilated section its possible, but ive never heard of anyone finding it, or came across it myself. however it is a good idea! like mike said, you could do that out west.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, all of our gas detectors detect Methane. However we have never seen even a trace of it in any mine. Never rises above 0 LEL or 0 per cent. I was thinking of bringing my meter to some old covered over garbage dumps to see if the vent holes exhaust any methane. But so far we have never seen it before.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:45 pm 

there is, however, one other source of methane that occesionally appears in anthracite mines.

one of our group members is an expert on the topic....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:11 am 

i thought that was referred to as "stink damp" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:59 pm 

Who is this that you speak of, guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:50 pm 

ah ha! the demon speaks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:46 pm 

well,sdmbrandy2, we have found you a source of methane.

now if we could just figure out a way to harness it for a useful purpose and we'll have all the funding we'll need!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:09 am 

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:36 pm 

Chris Im shocked... someone does listen to me lol. That methane was found during the Philo Street flushing project. The exact location was Court Street and Sumner Av. , it was also detected a few years later during the Albright Street project that adjoined the Philo St project. The source was traced to a barrier pillar that was found intact in the New County bed at the lower end of the Philo St project. parallel to the lower end of of Court Street. The methane traveled through the water pool in a westerly direction till it entered the abandoned workings under the Philo Street project area. There is was trapped against the barrier pillar that seperated the Bulls head mine, and the Brisbin section of the Diamond. The highest point in the abandoned workings. Roughly under the McDade expressway. The intact barrier pillar prevented the methane from traveling more westerly into the Tripps Park project area. Both the Philo St and Albright St projects were delayed by several months in order for the methane to vent through 3 in pipes extending ten feet above street level atop each borehole. It may be interesting to note methane, in much smaller levels were detected during the Main Av project area that was northeast of both projects mentioned earlier. But during the Main Av project it wasnt methane, but rather black damp that was hindering and menacing residents above that project. Namely those lying above the Von stoech slope proper. There oxygen levels fell as low as 10 percent !!!! in the abandoned mines. And levels as low as 16.3 percent were found in cellars above the project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:06 pm 

I new that was methane in those old mines especially in the Eddy tunnel (if my memory serves me correctly)where on the web sit "Underground MIners" said they found methane in the tunnel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:42 pm 

BWAHAHAHAHA "STINK DAMP"! :lol: :lol: