Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:54 pm 

Actually, these are NOT lead acid batteries....the old Edison cells are a Ni-Fe (nickel-iron) type. They tend to have a long service life too, which would explain your success in getting this one to work. I have an edison cap lamp like yours and they also made one with a blasting machine built in too.....The edison batteries have also been used in backup power systems and telecommunications power systems too. Here are a couple of links for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-iron_battery

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CEYQ9QEwCA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Very interesting.. Do you by any chance know where to get electrolyte for one of these batteries? I've gotten my Edison lamp working too, although the charge doesn't last very long. Distilled water obviously doesn't work well on a battery which had no electrolyte left.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:03 pm 

I am not sure where you would buy that electrolyte, although there are sometimes ebay auctions for little bottles of "edison battery oil" which may be the same thing although possibly not.

However, it may be possible to make it yourself...it is likely a potassium hydroxide/lithium hydroxide (similar to "potash" as mentioned in the edison ad I posted a link to previously) sort of mix...be careful because these chemicals can be unforgiving for any mistake! (either metal in pure form reacts VIOLENTLY with water...the hydroxide is left after the burning/near explosion that results from K or Li reacting with H2O) That Wiki article I posted has a section on the electrochemistry involved so that may be of help to you as well.

I would suppose that you could attempt to rejuvinate an edison cell by adding a mixture of potash and distilled water (maybe 50/50 ???) and letting the battery sit for a day or so to soak it in and then charging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:11 pm 

Here is a link I found that involves an experimental edison cell that you could create. For what you are trying to do, the theory and chemical (20% Potassium hydroxide) is probably the most useful part.

http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakultaete ... ison-e.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:25 pm 

Ok, last one and I promise to shut up for a while, lol.....but this page may be the best source of info on edison cells....

http://nickel-iron-battery.com/

Be sure to see the link toward the bottom of the page for maintenance information from an original edison booklet.