Iron Miners
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OVCC moves & saves a unique r.r. coal shanty building
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:37 pm 

WELL THIS WAS A UNIQUE MOVE & PIECE OF HISTORY (Wed 6/18/08)

SAVING AN ENTIRE BUILDING !

This 1920's structure was located originally at the east of the C & O railroad yard where the coal trains would enter. The man would use the phone and receive orders & then would walk out & throw the switching accordingling to route the train as needed.

This structure was originally saved by (2) LONG TIME FRIENDS/ RAILROADERS OF OURS and former supplier of railroad ties.

SPECIAL THANKS to Lee Miller & Jim Holycross for all the great help over the years. (Both men are retired). . . You guys are and still will be great friends. They have an invitation to come visit anytime & let the stories roll. Lee you did an incredible job loading this. . . thank you :!:

I remember as a youngster going in this shanty listening to all the railroad stories. . . man if these walls could talk. Lee left everything inside and said you guys can have the memories now.

As we left Lee stood silent and stood up straight and gave the old building a final SALUTE. :D

Definately a very interesting project let alone the wild move. . . take note on the height of the men standing next to the building while on the trailer that is all we have to say.

------
EDITED

Click here to view pictures: http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... hp?t=19575

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:21 pm 

:shock: holy hook guys thats one hell of a move!! are you guys going to try to restore it to its former glory and loan it somewhere or something? I like that old phone inside.. That thing on the trailer probably got as many looks as CT Mike's corvette in the bed of his pickup! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:38 am 

You should have seen the looks. . . don't forget we hauled it through the city +30miles :shock: :shock:

Our plan is to replace some of the wood structure & paint it. Our goal is to utilize the building as a switch shanty again on the mine railway at our facility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Nice, that is pretty neat. I can imagine the town people looking at you driving a building around on your trailer! Looks like the building is pretty intact, however it is always possible that there was some rotting on the bottom. Should be an easy fix. Did the building survive the trip without any problems?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:22 am 

It survived the trip great for the age of the structure. We sucured the base of the building to reduce the spreading of the walls. We will mount the building on (3) switch ties which are treated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:09 pm 

Last night we decided to install the switch shanty.

Jacking this building up and put some timbers under it so we could unload it.

The only thing I can say is :shock: WOW :shock: the wood floor was not attached to any of the walls in fact I am not sure how it made it here.