It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Test Running Plymouth Loco - Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:22 am 

Attachment:
IMG_2662.2jpg.jpg
IMG_2662.2jpg.jpg [ 34.95 KiB | Viewed 35933 times ]
Greetings!!!

Thanks to these pictures, I recently started building an Sn3 (1:64 scale, 3 foot gauge) using a Model Power HO Standard Gauge Plymouth DDT (1:87 scale 4 foot, 8.5 inch gauge) as a starting point.

So far, I’ve re-gauged the wheels to make it Sn3, repositioned the electric motor in the nose to remove it from the cab, and cut off the cab.

Here are some pictures of my progress so far (the wires are loose for convenience during construction and will be tucked away later);

I’m going to start building the “operators position” (aka. the “cab area”) next, before further detailing and painting this engine.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

JJ.

Attachments:
IMG_2663.2jpg.jpg
IMG_2663.2jpg.jpg [ 34.79 KiB | Viewed 35933 times ]
IMG_2659.2jpg.jpg
IMG_2659.2jpg.jpg [ 38.47 KiB | Viewed 35933 times ]
IMG_2635.2jpg.jpg
IMG_2635.2jpg.jpg [ 39.56 KiB | Viewed 35933 times ]
IMG_2634.2jpg.jpg
IMG_2634.2jpg.jpg [ 39.49 KiB | Viewed 35933 times ]
IMG_2633.2jpg.jpg
IMG_2633.2jpg.jpg [ 38.39 KiB | Viewed 35933 times ]
IMG_2632.2jpg.jpg
IMG_2632.2jpg.jpg [ 33.69 KiB | Viewed 35933 times ]

Post subject: Re: Test running underground clay mine Plymouth Locomotives
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 am 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are those LINK AND PIN COUPLERS?!!?!?!?!?! then that clay mine was in violation of several laws, as far as I know. I like how you had the orange one on the ground, and then just let it move in the dirt onto the track! I also like your jury rigged "Shop" made out of an old tie. By the way, what poundage of rail do you use? did it come out of a mine or are they old standard gauge rails, just closer together?

Also, to the guy building the model railroad. Is that an Atlas locomotive, or Tyco? If it is Tyco, the get rid of it! It will not run well for long. I would know, I used to have one, an it conked out after 3 days after I fixed it.(A wire came loose) Then it was off to the scrappers. I used a candle to darken the paint, and a wood dowel to bend in the sides, so it looked like it was in a wreck. Sadly, I moved and lost the scene. It was a nice set up.

Post subject: Re: Test Running Plymouth Loco - Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 pm 

A friendly reminder to the new folks Photo forums are for Photos only! We try to break discussion out in another forum so the picture stay in order.

Doug

Post subject: Re: Test running underground clay mine Plymouth Locomotives
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:05 am 

Miner Dave wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are those LINK AND PIN COUPLERS?!!?!?!?!?! then that clay mine was in violation of several laws, as far as I know.

Also, to the guy building the model railroad. Is that an Atlas locomotive, or Tyco? If it is Tyco, the get rid of it! It will not run well for long. I would know, I used to have one, an it conked out after 3 days after I fixed it.(A wire came loose) Then it was off to the scrappers. I used a candle to darken the paint, and a wood dowel to bend in the sides, so it looked like it was in a wreck. Sadly, I moved and lost the scene. It was a nice set up.

Miner Dave,

In order to copy the prototype, I actually purchased link and pin couplers from Wiseman Model Services and plan to install them once the engine is more complete. Looking at them now though, I should have ordered a bunch more links and pins, since I’m sure that these will get lost.

For some reason, Wiseman doesn’t post pictures on his website but does on his e-bay account, so here are links to the couplers I’m planning to use and the cars I’m going to build to operate with this model;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400288935765?ss ... 1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400265120631?ss ... 1438.l2649

The engine was actually manufactured by a company named ‘Model Power’, but, I’ve been told that it’s an exact copy of the Tyco model. Fortunately, that shouldn’t matter since I was forced to replace the motor and wiring in order to move the motor from the cab into the nose of the locomotive.

Originally, this engine had a gear mounted on the rear axle which was driven directly by an electric motor mounted vertically in the cab with a worm gear attached to the shaft.

To clear the cab, and allow me to cut it off, I switched the axles, putting the one with the gear in the nose. I then purchased a smaller (but more powerful) electric motor, which would fit in the nose, and mounted it at a 45 degree angle in the nose with another worm gear attached to drive the front axle.

Following this, I cut off the cab and am now trying to figure out how to build an interior like that on the prototype, which can be seen here;

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2293

All that’s left of the original Model Power (aka. Tyco) locomotive is the frame, axles, and half of the body. Since I installed everything else, I can replace it if it breaks down.

ALSO, I’m hoping to do exactly what you did to your model to another Model Power Plymouth to create a model of White Pass and Yukon #3, a Plymouth ML8 which was destroyed in a roundhouse fire in 1969 and still sits in the weeds behind the Skagway Engine Shops (with a medium sized tree growing out of the hood). What will make this interesting, is that I’m also building WPY#3 in her pre-roundhouse fire appearance.

I’ll keep you guys updated as this model progresses.

FYI; I intend to paint the DDT orange, just like the prototype, but letter it for a fictional mining company named “D’Anconia Resources”. This name is taken from an awesome book and, there’ll be some dittos for whomever can guess the name of the book (It's one of my favorites) :D :D :D

~JJ~

Last edited by EmpireBuilderJJHill on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:13 am 

Doug wrote:
A friendly reminder to the new folks Photo forums are for Photos only! We try to break discussion out in another forum so the picture stay in order.

Doug

Doug,

I’ll apologize for breaking the forum rules, but I’m not really sure which rule I broke.

I was inspired by the pictures posted in that thread to try to build a model of one of the engines, and thought that the guys who posted it and the guys who are restoring the prototype would want to know...

~JJ~

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:49 am 
I was also talking about the 1:1 scale plymoth