Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice. By the way, what kind of paint have you been using on it? It looks like a very shinny black paint ... almost like POR 15... Using a rust preventitive paint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:04 am 

rust oleum gloss black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

The POR15 rust preventitive paint for car restoration I use is glossy like that. Just it ain't easy to sandblast. It bonds with the rust and forms a rock solid finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:11 am 

well banksy ol boy and i got all the seals in for the axles last night. im using 90 weight gear oil in it now and one still leaks a little. think it might stop as it gets wet and swells up also probably needs to run to take a "seat". got the new contorller from the RPM boys in ohio. man its nice, ill get a few pics up probably tomorow with the bit stuff. probably going to take the resistor bank off now and give that an overhaul. the controller looks so nice i dont want some old rusty resistor bank on there! probably going to get it on tomorow after work. taking some jacks and stands up to test it out without it running across the shop and smashing into new cars! that would be bad. so anyways thanks to the ohio boys for their help man its great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Very cool. I'm excited to see it when it is running. How bad is the leak now? I guess all you got left after the controller now is the Universal Joints, and the brushes in the motor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:30 pm 

yea, i have 2 options on the motor. i can take it out, and have the ohio boys look at it or i have a motor shop in scranton that said they would overhaul it for me. i have to get a price from the motor shop to see if i want to haul it out to ohio and let them do it. the leak isnt too bad. i bet it will stop when the seal swells up. it still leaks pretty good around where the drive shaft comes into it, but im just gonna keep the oil below that point. i was thinking of switching to a heavier weight oil also. im gonna send a pic of the motor brushes to rpm tonight. it will be real nice when its all done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

The other thing, can you replace any of the brushes for the motor while to motors is still in the loco? Perhaps you can just replace the brushes and you'll probably be set for what you do with the motor.

You can try the heavier weight oil, but I think it will still probably leak. They have synthetic gear oil, that would be pretty thick, but cost you more..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:46 pm 

the motor needs more work than just brushes, the holders need some love. actually when i was up there today i checked on it and the axles stopped leaking.......... oh wait maybe its out of juice....... no its not leaking there anymore, although it still did leak some from the drive shaft. oh well.

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:48 pm 

check out the pics, we got the motor running again today. thanks to the ohio boys for the fantastic rebuilt controller. man its great, i cant thank you enough guys! it looks so right in there! later on........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

My God, that controller is beautiful! It looks like someone put together a wooden model. It looks like you wouldn't even want to put fingerprints on it..

Very cool stuff, glad to see that the mine motor is in business. The axle seals look like they leak pretty bad though from the pictures... But hey, it doesn't move very far.. In any event I can't wait to see it on Saturday. While it would have been cool to see it running at Chris's Dad's house, it make sense for Chris to finish it first while it is still in the shop. Good job..

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:26 am 

that leak was the drive shaft coming into the gearbox, the axles actually sealed themselves up totally now that the oil swelled the new seals and i ran it once. we are just going to keep the oil level below the drive shaft seal and it will be all good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

I like the white walls! It is looking real good after the final paint job. It is kind of looking too good for a mine locomotive. It needs some coal dust..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:59 am 

that will come in time my friend, oh yes, it will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:23 pm 

Taken from the UGM site-

Update- Fall '06 With some good contacts and alot of research we found out alot more information on our mine motor. The 4 ton whitcomb ESB mine motor was ordered on 12/8/1925, by Richmondale Coal Co. outside Carbondale and delivered on 3/5/1926. Just under 3 months. In 1932 the whitcomb was sold to Lackawanna Anthracite Mining Co. also in Richmondale. This mine motor was rebuilt from an older whitcomb frame at the factory. This was one of two Whitcomb mine motors Richmondale Coal then later Lackawanna had. Both were identical but both didnt meet the same fate as countless of other mine motors of the time. The two of them eventually ended up in Baumanns Scrap Yard in Carbondale as did much of the mining equiptment of that era. This one we saved the other met the torch. Unfortunatly we are not sure which one we have, its either S/N 1916 or 1917. The traction motor delivers 16 horse power to the wheels through 2 worm gear drive boxes connected with a drive shaft and u-joints. It is quite an advanced design for the time period. Its so-thought resting place was going to be the Waddell Breaker site where, after the breaker closed, haunted mine tours were given. A make shift mine opening was constructed and our Whitcomb was positioned outside this opening. This twist of fate seems to be what saved this motor as we found it the day before it was slated to be scrapped. Unfortunatly when we saw its sister motor in carbondale it was already cut in half! At this time though we didnt know the orgin of both motors or their relation to each other. An interesting point to this motor is that it operated for a coal company that was at the most northern point in the anthracite field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:56 pm 

working on the motor tonight, will post progress and some pics later

chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next