Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:26 am 

almost looks like a professional did it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:11 pm 

got another 6 batteries for the motor now! need 2 more and we will have a total of 16 batteries for it. that will provide plenty of run time now. all we have to do is get it back in the shop to install new planking in the bottom of the box and mount them. also we were attempting to construct a charger so we didnt have to remove the wiring harness and charge them individually. only problem with that was there would be no over current or limiting features and would cook the batteries near the end. a charger for mine motor batteries can approach 3 grand however we have our eyes set on another one we found, a smaller unit that will work for what we need it for. then we can just simply plug the thing in and next day she will be ready to go again. now, to see how much is left in the fund after we finnish this coal car :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:14 pm 

the motor finally made it back to the shop today....... now we have lots to do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:46 am 

Come on, we only brought it back to the shop to pull the brand spankin' new low veiner out of it's bay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:25 am 

did a little work on the whitcomb today. adam got the broken and frozen sander freed up. gotta take a part to work tomorrow to have welded. banks made a nice rubber floor mat :D those nice wooden battery holding trays we made last year...... we ripped them out! since we have enough batteries to pretty much fill the box now, we must construct a new holding fixture for them all. took a look inside the motor since we ran it all late summer and fall. looks the same as it did last year when we rebuilt it. she is lookin good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:21 pm 

today at work, i machined a new "plunger" if you will, for the sandbox. later adam fixed the crack in the box and installed the new plunger. now we need to fabricate the tubes that will drop the sand down on the rails. got the wooden bottom in the battery box and 12 batteries installed. need to get one more piece of plank to get another 4 in and then wire those 8 in with the existing 8. anyways, heres a few pics from the sander project:

old sander after bead blasting next to the new one i machined today. you can see where it was sitting in water and it just ate it away...... as well as being broken!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:07 pm 

got some good progress done tonight. amr's first volunteer, eric, helped out today. we got quite a bit done. he's gonna be a good one to have around. his jeep is like a rolling tool box. ill post some pics next week or so, when it actually looks like we got something done :wink: the charging plug is basically wired into the battery bank, got all the batteries secured in the box, sand boxes ready for the tubes to drop sand on the rails, fabricated a bell mount, ground off the 2 brackets on the end of the battery box, and got the plates that hold the axles in place when you jack it up back on. like i said pics coming soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:26 pm 

well atleast the motor work went better than the mine car work tonight. got the sanders all working and full of sand. they are operational, so thats good. charging plug is installed and all electrical work is complete. all we have to do is some modifications to our battery box covers now and its done. that project is getting started tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:09 pm 

mine motor is arriving home a bit sooner than planned on next monday. we had to get it out of the shop we are using. tunkhannock auto mart needs the space we are using to store tires so we are out of the shop for the time being. we have been using it for the past 4 years and really appreciate them allowing us access to the shop. at least the motor is now complete. ill have more of an update as we get it back to the rails. pretty busy next few days cleaning the shop out. however we do have some plans in the works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:00 pm 

the mine motor is back on rails again. mike a. and i moved it today back and gave it a bit of a workout hauling the cars around a bit. also forgot to mention saturday we had our first derailment there pushing the new coal car through the switch and it wasnt thrown the right way.....oops. well we spent the next hour putting it back on the track. tried to pull it up the rerailers with the truck but that made matters worse and pulled the other set of wheels off on the curve. oh well, we eventually got it jacked up and shoved over on the rail. its all good now! now all the rail equip is there and ready to lay more track! the motor is back for good and is officially finished!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:02 pm 

Derailments are always a treat! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:40 pm 

yea we are getting pretty good at putting them back on the track...... or getting them off, however it works out :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:38 pm 

i havent posted anything on this yet cause i didnt know if it was going to work well or not..... but, the new mine motor charger is operational and now we dont have to disconnect all the batteries to charge it with 24 volts. with help from mike a, todd, and a few guys at work we constructed a charger using a rectifier large resistor bank and disconnect box. its pretty simple really, but it charges the motor to 102 volts. perfect! we tried it the last few days over there using a smaller gauge extension cord and made a few adjustments. now i need to buy a 10 gauge cord to handle the, up to 20-25 amp load the charger puts out when its drained. once the batteries reach 100 volts the charge tapers off to about 5 amps. it actually works great and we only have just over a hundred bucks into it! its great cause i got the new charging plug that is an exact copy of the one that was originally on the motor but this one is new, and, the matching male end for the charger. so it hooks up and charges through the circuit it was meant to. all we have to do is plug it in, turn on the charger and flip the knife switch on the motor to charge. then go away for awhile, and come back to a motor ready to do some work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:27 am 

wow sounds like a pretty slick setup!!!!

Well there's Your problem - Mythbusters

Caution: anything posted above may not be real, I am imaginary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:42 am 

i have to make a frame for it so its not just sitting on the ground like it is now. ill take some pics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next