PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Discussion here: http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/viewtopic.php?p=108914

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:19 pm 

Post subject: Brewster mines
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:43 pm 

Ironminers,

Your photos of the Cheever & Durant Mine are terrific. The old mine audit was located on the property of the residence at the intersection of Hoyt and Progress Streets. The access to this opening was paved over when the parking lot behind the Brewster Hotel was improved. The Brewster Hotel is not the flower shop but is a brick building just east of the Chase ATM. I also enjoyed the article, Hidden Hometown: Mining The Past in Putnam County, NY.

Thanks for the pics,
Mike Maz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Michael,

Do you know how long ago the Brewster hotel was improved and the adit paved over? By chance would you know if any pictures have survived showing what it looked like before it was sealed? Perhaps the historical society or even locals might have photos.

Post subject: Re: Brewster Mine Trip 2006
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:52 pm 

My kids had off from school today and I just did not feel like working. What better way to spend a day than to go mining. Only my eight year old son was interested so we took a look a t a few maps and went for a walk. How long ago was the adit cemented over? It looks like an attempt was made to seal off the mine by blasting the rock above the opening and then finishing the job with cement block. I wonder how well preserved the interior of the mine is. My son was really amazed that a magnet stuck to the wall inside the trench leading to the adit. Next time we are taking a flashlight with us to see what we can see through the hole in the block wall.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

This is not actually an adit but an entrance to a stope. It was backfilled and then cemented over sometime prior to 2006. There was also an adit (horizontal tunnel) but that is now obliterated. The mine is very much intact -- once you reach the next lower level. However, this requires rapelling down a 30' deep stope and extreme technical skills to climb back up because you must overcome a ledge with your rope pressed tightly against it. To understand this better, the 30' deep stope slants underneath the tunnel you rapell from, leaving you with very little leverage spinning freely in mid-air. However, to reach this point, you must first descend a 12 foot deep vertical shaft (and be sure you can get back up that). Obviously this isn't exactly a tour mine for the kids. ;) If you decide to go, make sure someone is at the top, and let others know where you are.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:04 pm 

Where was the obliterated adit?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Citing Michael Maruzzella, "The old mine [adit] was located on the property of the residence at the intersection of Hoyt and Progress Streets."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:51 am 

This is a very risky and highly paid job. Even though iron is essential to us, this can destroy the beauty of that particular place and can create environmental issues. Such processes can destroy the nature and will challenge the existence of animals and birds in that area.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:56 am 
ALERT! ALERT! TREE HUGGER! ALERT! ALERT! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:17 pm 

tomjackson wrote:
This is a very risky and highly paid job. Even though iron is essential to us, this can destroy the beauty of that particular place and can create environmental issues. Such processes can destroy the nature and will challenge the existence of animals and birds in that area.

really….

________Really?!?…..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:32 pm 

Actually, I'm a firm believer that of all the mining process, underground mining (especially using trams and tracks) is by far the most environmentally friendly method.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:28 pm 

The MTA is building a new DC Power sub-station behind the Brewster Train Station. I have heard that the construction crew breached the mine during excavation. I took a walk by today and I see a spot which may be said breach. I will check it out after dark some day.