Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rosendale Ramblings
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:09 pm 

My first real post!

I'm learning the terms, so cut the new guy a little slack.

The trip started at a set of Dolomite Limestone Kilns. An 1825 map claims this is part of the the LaFever complex, which it may have been at one time. Current maps and local signs say this is part of the Snyder Mines. Over the years, these kilns have decayed badly, as there is only one kiln that hasn't collapsed. In a few more years, I'm afraid they'll be gone.

Through the back side of the kilns there is beautiful brick tunnel. I'm told there is a narrow gauge railway under the debris that permitted the unloading of the kilns into rail cars.

The tunnel ran the length of the kiln complex.

Inside the tunnel, the kiln exit, with the iron hooks still in the walls can be seen.

Each kiln exit had a heavy iron grate that hung on the hooks. Would this be a grizzly too?

It appears that the mine that directly supported the kilns was adjacent to the kilns and attached by a steep rail line.

I was told that some people had dived in this mine and had lost there lives. The bubbles from their gear dislodged mud that had collected on the roof and had entombed them.

Going behind the kilns there is a series of mines, This one is water filled and impossible to enter.

Above the kilns there are two mines that have limited access. For lack of better terms I call them Snyder Right & Left.

The adit to Snyder Right

Some of the old drill marks remain in the mine.

A little deeper into the mine you can see some bars driving into the mine roof that I suppose offered support to the roof. On of the rods has a boulder hanging from it. A stope can be seen in the background.

A picture of the adit.

Snyder Left, very steep and very icy, so I didn't go far.

Found a number of kilns with mines located nearby, with many sealed up,

Spoke to the folks at Turco Trucking, which I'm lead to believe is the Lawrenceville mine. The lights were off, but the chamber seemed HUGE.

One the way home did the D&H canal five locks walk in High Falls.

A loading slip off the D&H, for gravel.

One of the snubbing blocks, the burn marks of the ropes are still visible.

The stone mason's workmanship is outstanding. I saw no mortar, so I assume that the fitting of the stones was dry.