Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rosendale Ramblings III
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:48 pm 

I've been using MSN Live maps a lot lately looking for things of interest in Rosendale, reviewing the places I've been and looking for new.

I knew there was a large complex behind the Snyder Estate on 213 which is fenced off, and used MSN to try to find access.

Well finally off of Sawdust Road I thought I found a route.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

A thin black line going towards the bottom left of the picture. I think you can scroll down and follow my route.

The places that I shared in earlier posts are pretty well travelled, as I found the turn on my trusty steed, I knew this was going to be different. This must have been one of the old service roads to the site. It was heavily overgrown, trees fallen across the path, and heavy with vines. Not travelled often at all.

Coming out of the woods vertical columns are see to the left with storage silos for the finished cement.
Another shot of the silos.
Another Angle
Deer ticks were thick, as I tried to make it to one of the larger silos, I had dozens of ticks on me. I decided to go to one of the more accessible ones.
Inside, the chutes used to fill the later used bags. Earlier this product was loaded into wooden drums.
I was very surprised and pleased to find one of these. I was amazed it lasted in such good condition after so many years. I was sorely tempted to take it.
Found a modern home on the grounds, I wonder if it was for a caretaker, or supervisor.
The yard was littered with these odd cases, the floors were not stable, and peering inside revealed more of the cases.
Upstairs
Downstairs
A view of the silos from the back door of the house.

Looking at MSN Maps, I knew there were some mines here, but after making a couple of laps, I could not find them.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
I found a trail that led downward, what the hey, lets see where is goes.
Into a small box canyon, perhaps man-made?
Multiple Adits, an odd Fir hut, lots of debris and very wet.

A pic of the odd looking hut.
Flooded Adit 1
Flooded Adit 2
Another view from the top of a debris pile. Steel rod exposed, which leads me to believe this was a collapse of some kind.
A pic of the hut from the debris pile.
Trusty steed in front of another debris pile.
Made a quick stop before I left at the WIdow Jane mine, adit right and left.