Iron Miners
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New York Mine 4/3/06
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:16 am 
Site Admin

Here are photos from the IronMiners' (CT Division) visit to a Mine in southern NY. The photos will speak for themselves. Nice work!

Post subject: Hey, That's Me!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:58 am 

Hey Miner Mike, it's been a while.

Some of these photos are of me (particularly the 2nd and 3rd ones), that was a great day going into the Croton Magnetic mine.

The only annoying thing was when I was the first to ascend with only 1 rope with both ascenders on it! The rope was pinned against the face so it was basically impossible to move the ascender up more than a few inches at a time. We finally determined it would be best to drop down another rope and switched the second ascender onto its own rope, I wish we did that sooner since I had been trying to ascend for a good 30 minutes, haha!

Anyhow, this past weekend I decided to drive past the area to see if any further development had happened on the land. I was surprised that nothing has happened yet. I was lucky enough to strike up a conversation with a man that lives in one of the two houses on that road while he was out walking his dog. He told me all kinds of stories about the mine and the area in general. He mentioned the shaft we entered is capped with a rock and backfilled with dirt, however, the audit is apparently still accessible by squeezing through the backfill. He also told me the name of the land owners and I may consider contacting them to determine their future plans and possibly offer to buy the land.

I was hoping you could possibly send me higher resolution photos of the ones posted here and any other ones you may happen to have of that trip. I was also wondering if you wanted to meet up again in the future and visit this mine or any others in the area since I am living back here again. Hope the years have treated you well.

- Mike D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Mike, welcome back! Actually there are two Mike's here, myself, and Miner CT Mike. I was not on that trip with you but CT Mike was. I actually posted his photos but do not possess the full resolution versions.

It would be great to meet up. Feel free to PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:53 pm 

Hey Mike D,
Good to see you back on the forum! So what have you been up to in the last couple years? I do have more pics from that night that I can send you but I'll need to do some searching. We should get together for a mine trip or even just a recon, are you still in Ridgefield? whats your schedule for the next few weekends?
-Mike