Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: State Awards $4.2 Million To Reclaim Abandoned Mines In Lack
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:37 pm 

OLYPHANT, Lackawanna County — Pennsylvania is investing nearly $4.2 million to seal abandoned mine openings, grade and backfill highwalls and open pits, and control erosion on 178.2 acres of abandoned mine lands in Archibald, Jessup and Olyphant boroughs in Lackawanna County.

“Pennsylvania has more than 180,000 acres of abandoned mine lands that endanger residents, pollute waterways and stifle economic growth,” Governor Rendell said. “Reclaiming these sites protects the health and safety of residents, enhances economic opportunities for the entire region and makes our communities more attractive by improving their quality of life.”

Environmental Protection Secretary Kathleen A. McGinty announced the state investment while touring the sites with local officials. The Lackawanna County sites have two dozen unmarked mine openings and nearly two miles of sheer cliffs, all within close proximity to roads and populated areas.

“Governor Rendell’s historic Growing Greener II initiative gives us the money to supplement scarce federal funds so we can turn these dangerous wastelands into opportunities for economic development and community rebirth,” McGinty said. “Every time we clean up an abandoned mine, we help our communities heal the scars left by 250 years of unregulated mining.”

Reclamation work comprises two specific projects. Earthmovers Unlimited of Kylertown, Clearfield County, received $2.32 million for the largest project to reclaim the Gravity Slope Colliery, which ceased operations in the 1950s in the area known as Grassy Island Creek in Archbald and Jessup.

The project is being financed with $1.56 million from the Growing Greener II initiative and $762,642 from the federal Abandoned Mine Reclamation Trust Fund, which is subsidized by a fee on every ton of coal mined by the active coal industry.

Earthmovers Unlimited will grade and backfill stripping pits and 11,000 linear feel of highwall using approximately 800,000 cubic yards of on-site material. In order to prepare the land for future development, the backfill material will be compacted by the landowners in coordination with the contractor’s grading operations.

In addition, 22 mine openings will be filled and sealed, and bat gates will be installed on two openings. The barred gates restrict public access into the abandoned underground workings on the site while still providing critical habitat for established bat populations in the area. A number of bat species have come to rely on the mine openings for nesting and mating.

Earthmovers Unlimited also will construct drainage ditches to control runoff and erosion. This 116.5-acre portion of the overall site will be planted with a grass and legume mixture formulated to grow on abandoned mine lands. Work is expected to wrap up in March 2008.

Minichi Inc. of Dupont, Luzerne County, received $1.85 million for the second project to address the area known as Grassy Island in Olyphant. The company will reclaim part of what was once the Olyphant Colliery, which ceased surface mining operations in 1957 and underground mining operations in 1960.

This project is being financed with $1.24 million from the Growing Greener II initiative and $609,800 from the Abandoned Mine Reclamation Trust Fund.

Minichi will grade and backfill 300 linear feet of highwall and a dangerous embankment using approximately 805,900 cubic yards of on-site spoil material. Two hazardous abandoned mine structures will also be demolished.

The entire 61.7-acre strip mine will be graded to approximate original contours and planted with grasses, legume and tree seed mixtures formulated to grow on abandoned mine lands. Work is expected to last through October 2007.

Pennsylvania has the largest abandoned mine lands problem in the country, with more than 180,000 acres of unmarked shafts, unstable cliffs, water-filled pits and abandoned equipment and buildings left over from when mining was largely unregulated prior to 1977.

The $625 million Growing Greener II initiative provides significant funding to address a vast array of environmental and public health problems at abandoned mine sites in Pennsylvania. The voter-approved program allocates $60 million to clean up rivers and streams affected by abandoned acid mine drainage and reclaim abandoned mine lands scarred by dangerous highwalls, mine openings and water-filled pits.

The Governor has been a leader in the fight to ensure that the U.S. Congress reauthorizes the federal mine reclamation fund and that Pennsylvania secures funds sufficient to address this problem. Nearly one-of-every-10 people in Pennsylvania live within one mile of a dangerous abandoned mine.

this is all the numbered mine openings in the jessup- archbald area. good thing we got that car when we did.

shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:47 am 
Site Admin

That sucks. I wonder if there are any other good mines in Archbald worth looking at. Given that they numbered EVERY mine opening, I would imagine there were quite a few there.

I wonder if Mecca has been through there and found any other mines. They might all be small boot-leg type operations, but I guess you never know..

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:58 am 

“Pennsylvania has more than 180,000 acres of abandoned mine lands that endanger residents, pollute waterways and stifle economic growth,”

backfilling doesn't help the pollution of waterways....

yeah this sucks. Grassy Island - are they talking about the area around the shafts too?? jeeeeeeeeeezzzz...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:06 am 

yea andy suppe is working on the grassy island project

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Ask them if there is anything cool that we are missing! Andy has to be able to at least answer that. Maybe some more underground cars?

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:11 pm 

yea on that already! he said all there is there is a rock bank and 2 shafts. ive seen the shafts, just a big pile of rock. and the bank is huge. no cool mine cars or anything. just a rock bank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:02 am 

That sucks becasue the Olyphant Colliery was Hudson wasn't it? Isnt there a Horgan or 2 with the shaft headframes in it/them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:14 pm 

not the olyphant colly, the grassy island. there was an earlier colliery there before the olyphant. then later they used the grassy island shafts as part of the olyphant. there was a lokie line that went from there the olyphant breaker. thats the pic i have of the mine train derailed. banks, i think i took you to the shaft once. its that huge pile of large rocks fenced in, outside olyphant behind the police dept in the wooks. i think it was last year.

Derailment, Loaded trip coming from Grassy Island No. 4 shaft to the Olyphant Colliery. Just off South Valley ave in the middle of town. The standard gauge line on the left is still active to carbondale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:04 pm 

Yeah, i've been there. I think we went the day we were looking for the mine where they're putting the new stores on rt 6 that the worker guy said they walked inside and there were mule barns or something... but it was already gone. I may have been there twice actually.................. the second time might have been just driving by by myself though... i don't remember. i thought i remembered a pic with the headframes but i could be crazy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:05 pm 

by the way, look at the higher rails in that photo, then look at the lower. Looks like 2 different gauges! but it doesn't look like standard weight rail on the bottem.. interesting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 pm 

maybe it is standard? ...i'm still suspicious. Chris you probably know exactly where that photo was taken... we should take some "today" pictures to compare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:22 am 

yea thats the d&h main that went up past carbondale. still there, the one that goes past gravity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:30 pm 

ok... i kindof figured it was one of the lines still around today after i thought about it.......