Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B&M Tunnel Scrapping
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:54 pm 

got this email from a friend of mine who got me in touch with them to get that mantrip car. too bad.....

Guys,

Spoke with Matt Pastupack about the B & M Tunnel site. He said the rails, locomotives, coal cars and equipment was either sold or scrapped, nothing is left at the mine. As you all know already, the two Jeffrey's went to a guy who is associated with Lansford No. 9. He is in the process of restoring the two units and man trip cars for display near Lansford No. 8 portal. The other locomotive, possibly the GE, was sold for parts to a group of young miners, who are starting up a mine near the Gordon, Pa. area.

As for Porter tunnel, the 10-Ton Greensburg locomotive is still there, awaiting someone to buy it. Matt had three offers but no one has stepped up to dish out the money and haul the locomotive away. For those interested, his group is selling it for $2,000. I believe it can be regauged to anything up to 36 ga.

Regards,

Ray

hmmm, 2 grand, wonder if we all can come up with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:32 pm 

porter diesel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:44 pm 

yep it was used underground. it had a system on the exhaust that would clear the co from it by passing it through water. the ohio boys can chime in here and better describe this system.

this is the same locomotive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:46 pm 

oh yes and it is operational. the orange plymouth at the top of the parking lot at the pioneer tunnel is also from there. we are going to regauge that and get it running this winter. but that was used outside the mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:34 pm 

yea, good plan, now we need money! at pioneer we can lay more track anywhere. but we need money to get it. oh well. youll have to come up and see our mine motor when its out of the shop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:55 pm 

I can not believed that the rail was scrapped we needed that heavy rail (60 lb)real bad. We offered $$$$ for it but never heard from anyone as a response, OH WELL we tried.

The diesels underground are becoming very popular in the coal mines. In fact Robison Run mine in WV just ordered (3) Brookville diesel locomotives & one was delivered upon our last visit. We got (3) Plymouths locomotives from the last underground clay mine in Ohio & they were all diesel. On the ones we have - - - there was some"mo jo" added to the fuel to assist with the emissions. The reason why there is a push for this in the mines is that they are just plain more cost effective. No wires for the trolley locomotives, no batteries to replace or maintain & parts are always in stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:03 am 

yea and i wanted to get that switch. oh well. i wonder where they are starting up that active mine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, running all of that copper wire through the mines isn't exactly cheap. Thus you rarely find any copper trolley wire left in the mine.

Was the rail scrapped or sold to this active mine? It'd be ashame if it was scrapped. I'm sure it was worth more money as rail than as scrap.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:59 pm 

We saved (2) 60lb rail switch assemblies. Upon our arrival we stopped the bulldozer from screwing up the rest of the rail. We painted save on all of it but never heard back from anyone. You have to be careful with offering more $$ than scrap because you have a lot of time (labor) removing it + equipment time + transportation. The last we checked on new rail it was $550.00 per ton. So see there is a fine line when scrap ranges from $150.00-$300.00 per ton. The price really depends upon the steel mill (end user) that is buying the scrap.

We tried to save the B & M rail but we did hear that the Lansford guy did get some rail but it was never confirmed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:51 pm 

yea, and im glad we got that mantrip when we did also. thats going to be a great addition to our collection when we get it painted and rolling this summer. wonder if they knocked down the buildings or if theres still stuff inside. there was still a flat car in the one building.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, you have to always be careful on what you offer for it. But the rail is worth more as rail (and there seems to be enough demand) than as scrap metal.

What kind of flat car was that?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:59 pm 

similar to the ones that were there. but it was real low and there were humps coming up where the wheels are.