Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Avondale mine opening?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:41 pm 

sorry for so many posts its sort of addicting, anyway i have seen a picture of a drift like opening at the avondale mine from like 3 years ago on a ghost hunting website, i can get the link if anyone knows anything, but is this true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:37 pm 

I was on a tour of avondale 2 years ago and the guy said that the rescue workers dug a tunnel under the burning breaker to intercept the shaft...but it was sufaced filled from what ive heard so its still there i think...can i have the link to the pic because i never saw it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:50 pm 

nick is correct on the tunnel. it was dug in an attempt to aid in rescue since the breaker burned on top of the shaft making access from the top not possible. when they cleaned up the avondale site they uncovered the tunnel. it was open for a brief time. i know one guy went in but then ran into the fill from the shaft. it only went in like 75 feet and the rock was real bad. you can still see where it was, there is a mound of dirt over it now, i believe, but i was also told it had a bat gate put on it. i know osm did it so ill have to check next time im down there. or we can go check the site. unfortunately pretty much all surface exploration is shut down till this snow goes away! oh well.

Post subject: Avondale
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:09 pm 

THere was an article in the Scranton Republican which is a long defunct Scranton paper about a man who made a deathbed confession on how the molly meguires suposedly started the fire in an attempt to shut down the colliery due to their use of so called scab workers many of whom were from Scrantons predominately Welsh Hyde Park section, this was done because the mollys did not agree with the companys policy to use replacement workers in place of those who were on strike to continue production. However their attempt at what they deemed to advance their cause resulted in the death of 110 men & boys. This article I believe was published in the 1870's. Unfortunately it would be very difficult to prove or disprove due to the way the Molly Meguires have been romantacized over the years, as well as the ammount of time which has passed, but it is interresting nonethe less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:47 pm 

hey brian, yea ive heard this before. but like you pointed out its been so long and everyone involved has since passed on that it is impossible to tell what really happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:08 pm 

Thats really interesting.............