Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Robotic Mine Mapping
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:23 am 

I am sure that most of you are familiar with this Carnegie Mellon Universty mine mapping project using a robotic device. It is quite interesting to see although I am sure it doesn't substitute for the real experience. I have posted the link for any who are interested .

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~thrun/mines/mathies/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:55 pm 

Well I wish we could get the money that was invested in that project for documenting mines. We made it all the way through where as the robot got hung up where the steel beam was lying on the tracks. This is where we pass technology. We have got more photos in that mine then the robot. We hope some day when the robot is in a mine that we walk up to it & scare the hell out of the people watching the video monitor. Just kidding the robot has its place when dangerous conditions exceed our human ability. Technology will always get better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Wayward,

Yes, I have seen that site and the documentation performed by the robot. While the robot will have its limitation with areas it cannot get through, technology does fascinate me and there are good uses for these types of projects. There are many mines which have bad air quality where it would be not be possible for a living person to be able to document. Other times, like in the Sago Mine, where an explosion cause excess Carbon Monoxide which there is no way to send human life. I guess the problem is that sometimes machines are more difficult to maneuver than a human can. The other issue is that radio frequencies cannot pass through rock. So you would either need to operate the machine by cable or by computer.

Miner Greg