Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanamie Mine Winter 1967
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:03 pm 

well got a nice cd in the mail from steve organek. his father tony, took many fantastic, now priceless photos of the wanamie operation in 1967. some of which have already been featured on our website. now, steve has mailed me another set from the winter operation there. my favorite photos are of the steam engine pushing the snow plow constructed out of a woodedn coal car! great stuff, unbelievable photos, theres 8 pages of them, have a look! :shock:

here they are:

http://www.undergroundminers.com/oldwanamie6.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:16 pm 

I'll tell you what, these pictures are priceless! They really give you an idea of the scope of the operation that's for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

That is an awesome set of pictures. It's great to see that someone spent the time to take so many pictures of this operation. Interesting that they were still using the steam engines back in 1967... They had two outside of the motor barn, where there more inside?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:26 pm 

Miner Greg wrote:
That is an awesome set of pictures. It's great to see that someone spent the time to take so many pictures of this operation. Interesting that they were still using the steam engines back in 1967... They had two outside of the motor barn, where there more inside?

Miner Greg

By '67 the three you see would have been the last three left.

Tony has been a friend to me since I was a little kid (I am close friends with his younger son). For whatever reason, Tony "got" the importance of the anthracite operations at that late date, and while other railfans were out on the main lines, Tony and his group of friends balanced that with time at the mines. It isn't just Wanamie that got the "Tony O" treatment.

Tony is one of a small group of buffs that really got interested in the regions, even though they were from the Jersey Shore. That is one reason why our club in Asbury Park models NEPA and not the Atlantic coast.

I have been making trips "in Tony's footsteps" for most of my life. The love of the a-coal regions was handed down from Tony's generation to mine, and now we are handing it down to our kids (my son can't wait to another 190 tour with Banks!). Heck, these guys were such an influence that I even chose to go to the University of Scranton partly because of my fascination with anthracite industry and culture. Having a live 4-6-2 outside my dorm didn't hurt, either.

It is something to compare our group photos of "my generation" standing at the Allentown Hump or up in Mauch Chunk, and then see Tony's groups from 40 years ago in the same places. Of course, we don't have Lehigh & Hudson River C-420's and steaming Vulcans at Wanamie in our shots! ;-)

It is so cool that he has agreed to share these pictures with Chris and rest of the world.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:33 pm 

hey rob, i was waiting for you to spot these! they only had 4 of these didnt they? no.4 no.8 no.9 and no.28 anyway......

"It isn't just Wanamie that got the "Tony O" treatment. "

now rob dont spoil the surprise!!!!!

oh yea, you didnt catch the slide show he and nick did for us last year did you? im gonna try to set up another one this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:29 pm 

No, the Asbury guys canceled late. It was just us and some railroaders from Allentown (which included his son Dave). I may be able to get a room at WIlkes again if needed. I hope to have a list of articles and print references on Wanamie done in several months. I've already shared some of these with Rob. (Rob can you bring them next week so I can make additional copies.) Several railfan mags went out to Wanamie as the fans at these pubs were big steam guys and they were still in steam. Their demise was rumored several times in the press but they kept running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:42 pm 

Right, there were four. For some reason, I have it in my mind one left the property before the end.

I missed the last Tony O show. Last time I saw his coal presentation was 10+ years ago, and I know it has changed a lot. I have seen some of the slides one of his traveling buddies took on some of those trips, too. Very cool. Mostly Mahanoy City and Shamokin area.

Rob

Chris wrote:
hey rob, i was waiting for you to spot these! they only had 4 of these didnt they? no.4 no.8 no.9 and no.28 anyway......

"It isn't just Wanamie that got the "Tony O" treatment. "

now rob dont spoil the surprise!!!!!

oh yea, you didnt catch the slide show he and nick did for us last year did you? im gonna try to set up another one this year.