Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where Wheat Lamps got their name... Grant Wheat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:11 pm 

I was wondering where Wheat Lamps got their name from......

Koehler Lighting Products enjoys a long, accomplished tradition in the design and development of lamps for mine safety. Founded by German immigrant Ernest F. Koehler in 1912 in Massachusetts, our company manufactured the first naphtha-burning safety lamp ever approved by the U.S. Bureau of Mines for explosive coal mine atmospheres. In 1915, that lamp received a gold medal marking the opening of the Panama Canal—the first of a number of milestones.

Within a few years, Koehler was teaming up with inventor Grant Wheat in designing one of the very first electric-powered rechargeable lights for underground mining. Wheat Cap Lamps remain one of the industry’s most relied upon choices to this day. In fact, their unmatched quality has made them a favorite among thousands of workers in various industrial settings, including more than 85 percent of U.S. and Canadian underground miners. By 1980, Koehler Lighting Products had grown to a position of greater prominence. That year, the International Olympic Committee determined our Flame Safety Lamp was the only safe way to transport the Olympic flame on an airliner—a decision they made again for the 1984 and 1988 Olympic Games.

Today, as part of the Marmon Group, Koehler Lighting Products makes its home in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Our commitment to mine safety is as steadfast now as it was when Ernest Koehler first rented space to manufacture lamps in a Massachusetts shoe factory. This continuing commitment is why Koehler has remained strong for nearly 100 years, and why we remain the leader in underground lighting technology.

From the Koehler website: http://www.koehlerlighting.com/about-us.php

Post subject: Re: Where Wheat Lamps got their name... Grant Wheat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:28 am 

And now we know ! Thanks John.