Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: John Jermyn Newspaper Article!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:15 am 

Hello All ! Chris- I have a copy of a newspaper article about John Jermyn from 1902 that details his life story after he arrived here from England & that he was the one who started up the Diamond Colliery operation in Scranton & later on bought out the mine in Jermyn from the Gibson estate after it was thought that coal reserves were depleted there & got the machinery to get it going again & it became a successful operation which he later sold to the Hudson Company. I'll make a copy of this article for you & send it out with the other photo's mentioned earlier. P.S. He helped start the Episcopal Church in Jermyn which my Father's Family attended & my Father was an Alter Boy there also. & Mr. Jermyn was also responsible for helping out the Methodist Church in Jermyn as well. He was one busy man to boot! Talk to you guys later.....Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:28 pm 

hey keith, yea if you can send me a copy i can post it up. good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:38 pm 

Hi Chris! I sent everything out this morning ., the newspaper article,coal mine photo's & a few other things you may(hopefully) be interested in & can post on here if you desire to. Take Care.........Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:30 pm 

cool, thanks cant wait to get it!

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:14 am 

thanks keith, i just got the packet today. ill scan and post the better shots and some of that info. great stuff, some of those pics are great. wish i had a pic of the old boiler house that said "jermyn colliery hudson coal co" before it burned a few years ago. you could still read it. it only burned like 3 years ago! that sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:45 pm 

Hello Chris! Glad you like the info. Sorry about the photo quality on some of the photo's as they were dark when I got them & I had Office Max try to lighten up the pictures that needed it as well. Yeah , I know what you mean about the Building that burned down in Jermyn that was part of the Hudson Co Colliery. It Burned down about a month before my visit to Jermyn in 2003 & I wish I had been able to get a photo of it also before it burned. History gone up in flames so to speak :cry: If it doesn't burn down it gets torn down or vandalized. That's why I'm glad you guys are preserving the buildings of the Gravity Slope Coal Mine. I wish the same had been done for the Jermyn Colliery or even the Roundhouse & Power plant in Carbondale. Those would have been big time attractions for Model Railroader's & history buffs alike & would have been excellent for the local economy as well with the tourist trade & the proximity to the East Coast also. Too bad folks like you were not around 25-30 years ago to preserve some of the Breaker's & related artifacts then in existance. Will the photo's & info be posted here or on the UGM site? Take Care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:09 pm 

photos will be in both :D