Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new mining style
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:38 pm 

so, mike a. and i are sitting here on the phone discussing engineering a new type of mining. its called reverse chute mining. so basically i got this idea from when banks and i were giving tours at lackawanna last saturday and we got that long haired girl in the airshaft, thats when the wheels started turning. so what you do, is get a smaller mine and install a huge fan on the airway. then you direct all your airflow up the chute you are working and it goes directly to the airshaft, no cross cuts or nothing 60 feet, blah! so, you smash the coal down to rice or smaller, youre really looking for the fines. then you just shovel them up the chute, and presto, it is sucked up the airway and through the fan. if its not fine enough for the power plant then the fan will take care of that too. breaker and mine all in one. hmmmm :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:45 pm 

I think this is going to work. We might have to put a bigger engine on the fan than whats normally done around here. In lieu of the 350 chevy we might have to run a 440 chrysler engine for this to work properly.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah,

While I like the 440's myself, power that sucker with a 540 CI Hemi crate motor which puts out up to 900 HP, and you are all set. You'll have to hold back the man trip car to prevent it from flying out the air shaft.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:57 pm 

The only problem with the crate hemi is you can't pull one out of car at the junkyard. Plus if we pull a 440 and a 727 tranny out of a old new yorker we could control the speed of the air a little better and reverse it if we have too!

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:58 pm 

now i know what i can do with that 510 HP $350,000 rolls royce turbine i stole from work last week! we can leave the gearbox on and spin the fan at 2000 rpm's or take it off and gear it directly to the power turbine and spin the fan at 55,000 rpm's now that may suck lump pieces up the chute..... maybe even the buggy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:00 pm 

Now your talkin'. I'm just not so sure on the rolls royce, can't you steel something american made?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 pm 

know whats funny, believe it or not its built in the us, but then we ship it to canada to enhance it from 450 to 510 hp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:04 pm 

All right as long as it's built here. But I'll have none of these Canadian mods!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Well, its kind of hard to pull a 440 out of a junkyard as well. But yes I see your point.. Use the most powerful that you can find..

I don't know about the rolls royce though... That doesn't sound like a choice motor for mining...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:06 pm 

hey 60 hp is 60 hp, even if its canadian thats an extra ton of production an hour by my calculations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:08 pm 

I know where there is a 440/727 combo in a Imperial. Your right though they are scarce. We could always use a 383 or a 400, I could get them pretty easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:11 pm 

yea then it can serve a dual purpose and hook up to the heist too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, 440's are hard to find these days in bone yards because they are long gone. That was what was great about having a 383 car, you can pull it and replace it with a 440 on your existing 727 or 833 without having to change the tranny or bell housing. Drop in essentially. Many people took advantage of that upgrade. Unless you want to build an original car, why go with a 383 or 400? I recall see a few 383's and small blocks in yards around here though..

What year Imperial was it from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:26 am 

I think it was a 1974. There was another block sitting in the trunk of a new yorker but the heads were off of it and the trunk was open so the bores were well rusted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:34 am 

Why dont you just put an Airbus A380 engine on top of the shaft. as soon as you blast the coal loose from the vien it will at once get sucked out uo the shaft and crushed into the size you want...of course you will have to secure yourself to the rails and anchor down your mine motor :lol: