Iron Miners
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How much a ton?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:19 pm 

I was wondering what a ton of Anthracite is going for these days. I just talked to my friend who works for Massey and said some Met coal is going for $300 a ton. Massey is getting so desperate for miners they are giving gas cards away for people applying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:58 pm 

The average ton of anthracite is approx, 160.00. Every single breaker is desperate for coal which is unheard of for this time of year. If we can get it out of the ground we can sell it. The primary use of anthracite is home and large building heating. As a result of the high oil prices people are switching back to clean burning anthracite in droves.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:15 pm 

yep, that is for processed coal to burn. the breakers are buying mine run coal from the mine mike a. and i work at for $100 a ton. then they clean and size it and send if off to the customer for the average price mike mentioned. thats if you pick it up from the breaker. delivered is another animal all together. for more info on burning coal check this forum out:

http://nepacrossroads.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:20 pm 

Does anthracite not make good steam coal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:15 pm 

Anthracite is a excellent steam coal and is also suitable replacement for coke as it contains 95% + pure carbon. It also is the second cleanest burning fossil fuel, the only one cleaner is natural gas. The drawback to anthracite is the cost of mining it.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:17 am 

Don't forget Anty coal's primary function is used for water filters :lol:

Now since we have a second factual statement on Bitty coal prices case closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:33 am 

I beg to differ, water filtration is only a fraction of the anthracite used. And 300 a ton is for your met coals which is the only bitty that approaches the quality of anthracite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:17 am 

Oh Boy here we go again. Saddle up sea biscuit.

Our Met coal tonnage production blows the entire Anthracite total tonnage out of the water.

The beauty to Bitty coal is that it makes a majority of steal due to the coke process, keeps 50% of the power plants on line to keep the lights on. . . the only thing ours does not do is water filters.

Mike A. . . what is the latest TOTAL Anthracite production :?: 1.6 million (2007), surface & underground

So our Met coal that matches the quality of Anty coal from just ONE of our mines is 3.5 million tons a 2006 figure from a Consol mine 84. I wont even post the tonnage of all our Met coal mines.

I still do not follow how the Anty coal is used as steam coal ? I just do not see how it is cost effective for that purpose. If you go to any large industrial steel mill for that matter as well & just sit back a watch how much coal is consumed by the train load I don't see Anty coal keeping up with that demand either.

Anty coal is used for house coal & very specific markets that is it's niche which is great. I am glad to see a high demand for Anty coal keeping the miners in business. The mining methods are very unique & the only ones in the country with that style. We always enjoy visiting & talking with the anthracite miners. Some of the nicest people you will ever meet & their stories are always a memory in the making. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:21 pm 

coalfire, you managed to start another thread that turns into an ongoing war between the bitty guys and the anthracite guys...... hold on to your chairs folks...

:lol: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:22 pm 

GAME ON :!:

Ohio Mike,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:25 pm 

Sorry, I didn't know that it would be a problem. I could care less Bity vs Anthracite which one is better. I am for Coal. No matter where or what kind. Remember we've all shed the same blood in the same mud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:30 pm 

Nice :D We have been trying to get these Anty guys out to see some of our mines this might difuse the only coal is hard coal theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:10 pm 

I've said it before but you probably didn't notice because your britches were in a bunch, I'm not arguing that you guys produce more coal than us. Youse always have and always will. And your technology is cool too. But I very much prefer to mine my coal the same way my cousins, grandfathers, great grandfathers, and so on did. Our mining methods are very much hands on, and our tradition of bootlegging is awesome. The only thing that is holding back the Anthracite Deep Mine industry is MSHA and there bitty laws. The good thing is with the increase in demand it's now profitable to mine even with MSHA's missapplied laws. Our miners had a dream job that turned into a nightmare because of those guys but now the tides turning just enough in our favor :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:41 pm 

Why do they call it bootlegging anyway? None of the mines are actually bootleg operations. Everyone I have been to all have there mine permits.

The only thing we have come up with when the larger coal companies shut down several small private operations took over on a very reduced scale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:00 pm 

The short story on how the name came up is that during the great depression most of the big collierys shut down in the southern and middle fields. The miners were out of work and had to do something to survive. The miners would go up on the mountains and start sinking a small slope down an outcrop, stealing the coal from the big companies and selling it on there own. In the beginning the coal and iron cops and the local police stopped the bootleggers. As time went on and the depression got worse the governor of PA actually allowed the bootleggers to mine without fear of getting arrested. The name stuck and as time went on bootlegging became a big time industry here. I have pictures of my great grandfathers bootleg slope, a great uncle of mine was president of the Independent Miners and Associates, My grandfather, great grandfather, and great uncles all worked in a bootleg slope which as a matter of fact Randy Rothermal worked in the same one at the same time. A cousin of mine worked in B&M tunnel ( not really a bootleg but a mine just the same) and thats just the tip of the iceburg! Now I work in a bootleg myself and have been having thoughts of sinking my own slope down the road :D Coal mining is in my blood as I'm sure it's in every miners blood anthracite or bituminous.