Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hudson Coal Delivery truck found In Junkyard
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:38 pm 

I was at valenti's junkyard today looking to score an electric fan for one of my projects when i spotted a 1946 chevy truck, thats cool i thought . Later on i went closer to check it out and noticed that it was a former husdson coal delivery truck. The logo for Hudson coal and the delivery co's name and # are barely visible on the drivers door. I went arround the other side hoping to find better but no, Any traces on the pass door are all but gone. Too bad I it would have made a cool piece of wall art for my garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:12 am 

makes you wonder whats buried in the back of the junkyards that no ones bothered to look at in 50 years......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:37 am 

Thats true and whats really interesting is that valentis frequently crushes everything, or most everything once every few months or so. That means it was only in there a short time! That gives hope that cool mine related stuff is still out there. I may still buy the door off of it if i can find a way to restore the logo. Mabee by using a stencil then weathering it to bring back the patina.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Or buy the truck and restore it! Truck is probably in bad shape though..

How is the yard scrapping everything immediately good for saving mining stuff? Just curious..

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:04 am 

I'd love to buy the truck but its pretty much a basket case at this point there is considerable rot in the floos as well as the door frame of the truck, lower cab portions, etc. Its worse than it appears at first glance. And to answer the 2nd question, a junkyard scrapping everything is not obviously good for saving mining items, (or other cool stuff) but it proves the point that the stuff is still out there, so lets do our part to seek it out before it meets the same fate as many other historical items (remember Bauman's in Mayfield) because once they're gone, they're gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:41 pm 

wow now thats a find. do you have a pic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:58 am 

I diddnt have my camera that day. I have to go to new jersey Tues morning but when i come home i will stop by there and snap a few quick picks with my digital. Also of related interest is a 1928 ford AA dump truck that was used for coal delivery but i dont know by whom ( the remenants of thr word "coal" is on the dump body) this is in much worse condition. This truck is on the site of the former Stanton colliery on stanton and empire street in wilkes barre its doubtfull that it was connected to the colliery though since the property has been thru several owners since its closing in the early 1960's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:49 pm 

if you take a torch and run it over the paint fairly quick but not fast it will slightly melt the paint and bring it back a little...this works on the old paints I never tried it on newer paint. I remember doing it to an old bicycle that had a design on it but I couldn't really see it then after the torch it was very clear and looked good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:47 pm 

Thats interesting Ive never heard of that before. I wouldnt want to tey that w/o practice on something first. I have a 66 dodge coronet that i built to replicate a 60's super stock drag car and rather than having it painted a flawless yet boring color, i used the existing original paint and all its cool 40 year old patina, and painted 60's style drag car lettering over it then weathered it to match the paint underneath it. This was a fun but extremely time consuming process, so if i decide to buy the door if worse comes to worse I can do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

What technique did you use to get back the old paint, or that paint was still on the car?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:26 pm 

With my 66 dodge it had the original white paint on it from 1966, it was faded and worn, but kind of had a cool patina to it. I always liked the look of 1960's drag cars from the super stock era which was from about 1963 thru 1967. Not being able to find/afford (at 100grand+) an original factory drag car, i decided that rather than paint a flawless but boring color i would replicate a 60's drag car. The technique I used was to first draw the slettering out on vinyl sheeting then cut them out and make stencils frtom it. Next, using the stencils, I painted the lettering onto the car. Lastly and most fun, was weathering the new lettering. This was done to match the look and patina of the paint underneeth, to give it the "as found after 35 years of being left in a garage someplace and forgotten about" look. I did this by using different low tech methods (green 3m pads 1200 grit and finer sand paber and a home made wash i made to bleed the colors) If interested in trying this yourself email me at Cudaman76@ yahoo.com and ill share any tips/info i have And By the way valentis wants 30 bucks for the door of the hudson coal truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:31 pm 

By the way if you are interested in doing something like this id be happy to show you the car as well i am in wilkes barre .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

I'd love to see the pictures of your Cornet wanna be drag car.. That is an interesting idea though, restoring a car to look old.. I guess they did that with Joe Dirt and that 1969 Daytona. It was interesting though, at Carlisle that year BEFORE people knew the car from Joe Dirt, a lot of potential Daytona investors were looking at it.. Everyone flocked to that car. Sometimes being an unrestored looking car creates attention than a restored car.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:14 am 

Thats true. I couldnt afford a real factory super stocker with any real racing pedigree so i built my own. Not to ever pass it off as authentic but to give guys of my dads generation memories of how they looked back in the day. Kind of taking the rat rod thing to a different level. also are you a mopar fan i assume if you are at carlisle you might be i also did a cuda a few years back but i sold it. Mopar or nocar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah a factory super stocker is unaffordable.. I remember at Carlisle 3 years ago, they had a sold covered altered wheel base in one of the vendor spots. It was covered, and had a sign taped to the cover... "Sold, 1.2M" Never got to see it, but it sold the first day.. Yeah I am a mopar guy..