Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No.9 Labor Day Picnic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:40 pm 

Just a reminder, The No.9's labor day picnic is right around the corner. If your in the neighborhood on August 30th be sure to stop in for some good homemade food and take the tour and enjoy the museum!

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject: No. 9 picnic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:17 pm 

Amy and I are planning on coming down. Question for those of you who have been there before or who are working it. My grandparents are in their mid 80s, and my grandfather can't walk for long. He was a miner in the 1950s in Plains.

I'd like to take them, they'd enjoy the food and pretty much just the day out. Is there a pavilion or large tent with picnic tables or something where they'd be able to sit most of the day?

Also, if he's up for a trip in (I doubt it, but he does a lot of things I don't think he'd be up for), is it like the 190 where he doesn't need to take the tour? Just someplace close to the stop inside where he can sit until the ride out?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:29 pm 

We do have a picnic pavilion down there with tables in it. Also we do have a couple of chairs in the mine near the staging area so if somebody doesn't want to walk through the tour there more than welcome to stay there.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:03 pm 

'my grandfather can't walk for long"

...age or black lung?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:56 am 

Luckily he escaped black lung. His legs have been in bad shape since his heart surgery.

Thanks for the info. If the weather is good and they're up to it, we'll bring them along. I'm sure he'll love to share the stories of mining. He does not like to talk about having to do this to support his family, he was a pro ball player before having to go underground when his dad got sick. Prior to this he was a short-stop for the minor leagues with the Cardinals program and was looking forward to being called up to the majors.

But anyone interested in those days of the mines, he's always happy to share the experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:23 am 

Also, Pioneer Days is Aug. 15th, if I remember correctly.

xox
~S