Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For the Pine Ridge Fans
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:31 pm 

and now for the pine ridge colliery fans out there we made a pretty cool discovery today. well for a few months now while driving to the mine i would gaze around cause you never know what youre gonna see. while passing the site of the pine ridge mountain mine road that parallels mill creek i noticed they clear cut all of the trees down between southbound 81 and 315. looking over there you can look straight through the bridge where 315 passes over mill creek. well in the middle of the bridge, or under the bridge i should say, there was this steel framework that looked strikingly similar to a rr bridge, but smaller. so today on the way back from the mine we had to stop and check it out. well our suspicions were correct, it is the lokie bridge for the mountain mines roadbed. its pretty cool, mill creek passes under the bridge and 315 goes over the bridge. one neat thing is its still painted grey, it hasnt weathered since its under 315 and they must have painted it after the tracks were on it cause you could clearly see where the ties were because there is no paint there! also, you can see the old 315 bridge made out of old concrete. then when it was widened you can tell where it is a different style construction and newer concrete. funny thing is, no wonder all of our bridges are failing inspections and being replaced, the old concrete thats probably 75-100 years old is in perfectly fine shape. the newer concrete is chipping, cracking and falling apart. seems they dont mix concrete like they used to! banks got a bunch of cool pics if this so i hope he posts them soon.

pics: http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... hp?t=19714

Post subject: Cool!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:44 pm 

Never saw anything like that before. Who writes the contracts for roads and bridges down there? Probably should have included something like "remove existing rail bridge" as one of the first steps.

Since it probably didn't, the contractor must have interpreted it as "pour new conrete around existing bridge." But good thing they did, because it is nicely preserved in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:03 pm 

well the thing is, is that road was there all along, way back when they built the bridge. so this thing is original. you can see in most of the pics where the old road bridge is above the rail bridge then where they widened it for 4 lanes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:07 pm 

chris can you tell me how to get to this and pine ridge please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:09 pm 

its just north of sheetz on 315 out of wilkesbarre. when you come down the hill there will be the bridge you go over. park there and walk underneath it. the mines are up jumper road back behind a housing development. they are either gated or filled in now, but you can still see where they were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:25 pm 

nice find.

i've wondered if these types of things are left because of some right-of-way issues. i have seen where road bridges over places where railroad tracks used to run are replaced with brand new road bridges, as if they expect trains to start running through again. you might think they would eliminate the bridge now that there are no tracks (and will not be in the foreseeable future) but they just replace the bridge over the unused and overgrown right-of-way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, this was a good find. So you are saying the road was there first and this was built UNDER the road bridge? Or the road was built on top of this bridge?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:00 pm 

im not sure, it actually appears as if they were built together.