Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Johnson #1 shaft and Dickson Colliery Fan House
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:26 pm 

Hey all,

Once again I am asking for some info about Dickson city.

I am wondering what mines run under Dickson city and where the opening(s) once were.

I ask this because of a somewhat interesting thing I came across this afternoon. To the right of the Dickson Colliery Fan House, there is a sign that says property for sale. The land is all leveled (not exactly but close enough) and like I said, I saw a for sale sign. Is this potentially dangerous? Sure any house in our area could be or is sitting on top of mines, but a house this close to the fan house?

Just a random thought.

I have another thing I wanna get some info about, that'll wait till tomorrow so I can get a picture taken. Or else, no one will have any idea what I'm talking about-or is that most of them time- :wink:

Chris

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:29 am 

best thing to do there is go down to osm and look at the maps. there were hundreds of openings alone in dickson city. there was one main shaft there by the 2 fan houses. it was a 5 compartment shaft. the 2 on the outside were for the 2 fan houses and the 3 in the middle between the fan houses were for haulage. that space that is paved between those 2 sloping concrete hoods is the center compartments of the shaft. if you look in the blacktop you can see the retaining walls.......... not a good idea to park here :wink: i remember a property across the street on the corner that was leveled, is that the one youre referring to? also, back by market st, right when you turn onto meylert st. on the right in that parking lot there was the supply shaft for the dickson colliery. another cool thing there is the dickson shops. these were the shops for the hudson coal co. its just before the rr bridge on the right. some modern businesses occupy the property now but go wander around there and youll see some 30 inch gauge track still exposed in the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:55 pm 

Wow, thanks man!

I think the property I am referring to is what you described. I've usually parked right along the street so I am no where near the area you mentioned not to park at.

I'll have to take a walk around this week and see what I can find. Up behind in the hills, is there anything back there? It's so overgrown, the only downfall to finding anything good.