Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obama tells San Francisco he will bankrupt the Coal Industry
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

This is a radio interview with Obama from January, where with his carbon trading credits, he is stating that he will make it so expensive for coal plants to operate that he will bankrupt them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdi4onAQBWQ

While Obama has always been completely against coal, he is now starting to claim in the debates and in the swing states that he supports clean coal. It will be a number of years until the technology is available to support clean coal. Thus until those power plants are built, we need to maintain our infrastructure to both power America and to also power the electric cars, peoples homes, production of Bio-Diesel, production of Ethanol and for everything else electricity is used for. If we were to put coal power plants as they are today out of business, the jobs in the coal industry would be lost, electricity would be more expensive, and the way of the American life would continue to change for the worse. This really is not the "change" we need.

We need support from the swing states to give America the change it really needs and oppose the change that will make the economy worse. Please take this into consideration when casting your vote on Tuesday. You don't have to take my word for it, take Obama's own words for it...

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:08 pm 

I still can't believe the UMWA endorsed him. That shows me that them being non-partisan is a load of crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:04 pm 

I'm a member of the IBEW and the UMWA and neither one is really nonpartisan. The rank and file members of the UMWA around here really don't seem to be in love with Obama to much, a lot of them seem to favor McCain and the same can be said for a good part of the IBEW guys too.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:37 pm 

yea they are all the same. tell the people against coal that he is against it, tell the people for coal that he is for it. its all the same just different topics, its just a big game...... and only we are the losers. my one and only political post. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:39 am 

Big government is ALWAYS a bad thing, and the bigger and more intrusive it gets the wose we all are. The solution is to cut govt in all areas and vote libretarian. Bob Barr in '08! Theres my political posting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:41 am 

Heres another sorry......
http://www.bobbarr2008.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:46 am 
Site Admin

I understand your concern about the political system.. However, we have one party who has consistently had a history of being against coal, and in their own words they are planing to bankrupt the coal industry. I have never heard the republican party say that.

For those who have not opened the clip, here are some excepts from Barack Obama's interview:

"What I've said is that we would put a cap and trade system in place that is as aggressive, if not more aggressive, than anybody else's out there,"

"I was the first to call for a 100 percent auction on the cap and trade system, which means that every unit of carbon or greenhouse gases emitted would be charged to the polluter,"

"So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted."

He has also in February said he'd like to tax "dirty energy" such as coal and natural gas.

Then you have Biden saying in Ohio 'not here' about building coal-fired power plants..

And Biden also saying:

"If we're going to create a situation where coal-fired power plants are at that much of a disadvantage, there will be new ones built. But as Biden said, just not here."

(I don't know where he will build them? Canada? Mexico? Or not at all? I don't see how either of those approaches helps the American economy)

Obama is saying the comments are taken out of context, but I don't see how you can even take such a harsh statement like that out of context..

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:05 pm 

saw a truck today with a toilet seat mounted on the front said obama /biden on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:32 pm 

good! put them damn bitty mines outa buisness! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:18 am 

REAL COAL MINERS DON'T SUPPORT OIL WARS. :evil:

"We will never let another another holocaust happen." - John McCain

........wtf is going on right now in Darfur then?

Don't tell me this war is about Iraqi Freedom.

By the way.... where are the nukes?

:evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:13 pm 

Its funny how my Obama supporting friends are always quick to point out that Bush, (who Im not the biggest fan of) doubled the national debt and greatly increased deficit spending. While this is true they cite these as reasons to vote for Obama. For all of the big government-esque "change" he is propsing, ie. his health care plan, DOUBLING defense spending from 500 billion to 1 Trillion (thats trillion with a T) to create, and I find this especially troubling, a Civillian Security force to patrol the citys of America, etc. How does he expect to pay for it? Eventually we will have to increase taxes as he said he would on corporations and the wealthy, -dont think this wont affect the lower and middle class because it will, and go further into debt. The only offset to the Obama style Marxism on the left and middle of the road more of the same on the right is Libritarianism. Let free will of the people and free markets rule. The only REAL choice for change is Bob Barr Vote Libretarian.
.....there Im done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Well real coal miners who support Obama won't be a real coal miner for long.. Just take Obama's and Biden's words for it.. Without Coal and Nuclear power plants, electricity is going to be very expensive. As Obama admits that he wants to also tax "dirty energy" (coal, natural gas) and wants to additionally tax oil companies, you are certainly going to see prices for those going up as well. People think I am making this up, but listen to Obama's speeches.. Anytime you tax an oil company, they have to pass the costs down somewhere. It will go to the consumer. With Obama wanting to bankrupt the coal industry, electricity prices will go sky high, it is going to make the summer's high energy prices a walk in the park.

While I appreciate the views to vote libertarian, PA is a swing state. That is just half a vote for Obama. It doesn't make sense to me why people would want to punish themselves because they didn't like Bush. It just blows my mind.. The republican party will survive, but I don't know if the country will survive..

I guess this argument is too late now, voting is on. Let the best man win..

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:08 pm 

Very true, except that the republican party is already unfortunately on its way out, too many have abandoned their conservative ideals and became centrists or even left centrists and its sad too....gone are the days of Regan conservatism, the party now is like a mummy, identifiable only its outward appearance, its soul however has long since deceaced. I have great respect and admiration for true republicans and true republican ideals, now however I must mourn the loss of a once great party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:48 pm 

Brian wrote:
Its funny how my Obama supporting friends are always quick to point out that Bush, (who Im not the biggest fan of) doubled the national debt and greatly increased deficit spending. While this is true they cite these as reasons to vote for Obama. For all of the big government-esque "change" he is propsing, ie. his health care plan, DOUBLING defense spending from 500 billion to 1 Trillion (thats trillion with a T) to create, and I find this especially troubling, a Civillian Security force to patrol the citys of America, etc. How does he expect to pay for it? Eventually we will have to increase taxes as he said he would on corporations and the wealthy, -dont think this wont affect the lower and middle class because it will, and go further into debt.

Very true. Any knowing Republican knows that McCain was a travesty in the party for years, and isn't very well liked by Conservatives.

This health care crap drives me nuts too. I WOULD rather pay for own, as well as provide for my own retirement, which I already do.
All the gov't programs (social security, etc.) were intended to be temporary.

Brian wrote:
The only offset to the Obama style Marxism on the left and middle of the road more of the same on the right is Libritarianism. Let free will of the people and free markets rule. The only REAL choice for change is Bob Barr Vote Libretarian.
.....there Im done

The only problem with that is that there's not enough people to look into that and stick together to vote a third party in, therefore sending those votes one way or the other to the main candidates. One of these days... one of these days.

Otherwise, I think I'll have Banks teach me some German and move over there.

:mrgreen:

xox
~S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:28 am 

" The republican party will survive, but I don't know if the country will survive.. "

Greeeeg, come ooonn man, we're KILLING ourselves with this pointless war right now..and I couldn't support ANY candidate who would want to continue it. Look at history.. Every empire in history eventually overextends itself and falls. With the debt we find ourselves in, the war(s) we find ourselves in, and the looming recession...it makes one wonder if we're shortly going to be one of these 'empires" if something doesn't change!

About coal mining, take a look back in the anthracite... it was in 2000 when the Republicans came to power that the tyranny of MSHA rained down on the anthracite mines and shut most of them down. hmmm... :x Our coal isn't used in power plants anyway.

i might be a coal miner, but i realize coal will not always be the answer. nor gas / oil. We need clean energy. Climate change and pollution are major issues. its just a fact. So, although I agree that coal is the short term answer for cheap energy, we must start to move away from it for our major power, and make advancements in clean energy for the future. Its hard for me to say that...but its the truth.