Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:13 am 

Probably should have read your last post Brian. Wouldn't be right to start without the guy who's idea it was! I'll have to catch up with y'all in Dec or Jan. u

Thanks for the local brew info MikeA. Talked to dad tonight about the wilkes-barre area ones, he remembers 3 of the 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:13 am 

Tommorrow night Ill be working my moonlight job at the pizza place, I can look arround for some good places here in Wilkes Barre/Plains/Plymouth/nanticoke/edwardsville/ larksville, I ll look for old school beer signs ie.gibbons, steg, etc. after all, the bars have to have the right patina, hey feel free to submit sugestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:19 am 

..........speeking of "signs" special points for long gone brewerys from the area like Franklin in hanover and Susquehanna in nanticoke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:02 am 

yea theres not much up here...... lackawanna basin, besides mollys. but thats because the scranton youth have no interest they want party bars. i know theres some good ones down by mike a. in ashley and around there. ive never been to them, but heard some of mikes stories...... :wink: anyways, where ever you guys think is just fine. i dont mind driving down to ashley or wilkesbarre area if its a good central location for everyone. if johnr is coming down from binghamton maybe mollys would be best, but i think for the first one we should aim for a good central location where we can get the most people. hmm, this could end in disaster, i dont know when the last time this many coal people gathered at a watering hole...... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:46 am 

I willing to make the trip to meet you guys and to talk coal. A little far but could stay after with family in Wilkes Barre. I guess this is a busy time of the year for everyone but it should work out sometime. - Mike O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:34 pm 

add another to the tab! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:32 pm 

Molly's is closest for me, but I only get every 3rd friday off so chances are. . . If I'm off when you guys are going somewhere, Ashley, WB, Ashland, anywhere down there, I can make a day out of it. My grandparents are in Plains so I can go down there, take them up the Downs and for lunch, then head out where ever you guys are going. Might not be for a while though because the fridays I get off fall on or very near the holidays and my brother's coming up from MD. I'll watch the board.

There is a place the street over from my grandparents. He was a miner but never went to the bars after work. But it is just two blocks from the old mine head. Anyhow, this place was there forever, it's one of those places that was on every street down there. A larger house with basically what would be the living room as a bar. I'll ask him about it, I think a distant cousin owns it. I have no idea if there is food or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:33 pm 

what street is that bar on in plains?

also since i dont drink if someone from the w-b area needs a ride they can ride in my truck, but dont get sick youll have to ride in the back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:24 am 

Ya know Brian, after all the years visiting down there I haven't been on that road since I was a kid, I don't remember the name of the road. But I did call my grandparents and they said back in the day the bar was called Bootsy's. All the miners went there or to one other one that is no longer there. Today it is Kelly's. They don't know if they have food or not, and it has probably been remodeled a bit since then.

Kelly's is one street over from Powell Street. At the end of Powell they built a big "Condo" complex that can be seen from River Road. The street is sinking bad, and they have flooding issues. Probably because they built it on the mine my grandfather worked in. He says some day one of the buildings is going to fall right in. Next time I go down I'll take a walk back there and check Kelly's out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:10 am 

that was probally part of the Henry colliery, I know the area you mean there was a shaft right where the condos are, in fact there is a street that led to it called shaft street, or mine st, I forget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:06 am 

The shaft at the end of Powell St. where he worked was called the "Enterprise." Dad thinks the road Kelly's is on may be Slope Street, but I think that's further up. I'll have to let you know next time I call my grandparents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:37 pm 

It IS Slope Street. Also, down near the condos off River Road, there is a road called "Enterprise Street" that lead to the mine complex.

Doing a web search for Kelly's, I came across this girl's myspace thing that says Kelly's is on 17 Slope Street. I won't post the phone number because I haven't verified it, but it's probably in your book or you can find her page and get it off of there.

From her pics, it looks like the walls are stained wood, suspended ceiling, and they have several bar game machines and darts. Pool table, too. Certainly not original looking, also not "whoohoo party-bar rap music techno" garbage, but probably not far off what miners would be coming out of the hole to after work if the mine was still there. Same place as when the mine was there, just probably needed some touching up after 50 years. I get an 80's feeling from her page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:07 am 

So hey guys when do you want to set this up, and what bar(s) should we hit, Im thinking start at Mollys early, that way if anyone wants to eat they can then make our way south and hit a couple of ol' school ones ie. Pollaks or something along those lines this comming Fri is good for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:32 pm 

well Im back through a dark era ( girls hah) OK I can mention a few old places. but we have to realize the atmospheres have changed a bit since the mining era:
Bar City Mine that customers may have worked
Sisko's on main St. Carbondale
AJ;s on Dundaff Carbondale( right near old carbondale yards) The Donkey (plot section, Scranton) Marvin ?
Jiggers (Scranton Tripp Park) #15 slope
Bryn Maur ( West Scranton) Hampton,Sloan, Continental
Diskins ( South Scranton) National
Unknown (Scranton, Keyser valley) Briggs
Luzerne Inn ( West Scranton) Hampton, Sloan, Continental
Deep 8 ? (Olyphant//Throop) Underwood
Unknown (Throop) Oneil Hwy) PA # 1
Daddys ( Taylor) Taylor, later Moffatt
Dark Wolf ( Dickson City) Olyphant, Miles Slope
Unknown ( Jackson Street, West Scranton) Briggs ++ Still has old time bar !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:11 pm 

Well down in my neck of the woods you have kelseys which has great food, Pollacks which doesn't have any food but looks like it hasn't changed since 1905, Daylidas which has good food (mostly seafood though), Rubys which has awesome pizza and another old time bar, and Raubs which has good food and another older bar.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next