Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:56 pm 

The sad thing is there was a miner devolped somewhere along the line that will run just fine on that pitch, the plans are at the IMA office in Tremont. I guess it wasn't much more than a fairchild with hydraulic rams on the sides to keep it up or something like that. One day when i'm down there on some other business I'll have to have a looksee.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:58 pm 

there is no flat pitch, have you been there :?: even where it outcrops its 15 degrees! then the pitch takes off, and there is no flat pitch at the bottom, just a V and it goes back up again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:59 pm 

I bet it works the exact same as our portable shields with the CMs but the shield is attached to the miner allowing it to feed into the coal using the roof to push off of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:00 pm 

15 degree is basically a flat pitch & suitable for the miner. Your only real flat pitch is the northern field not the southern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:00 pm 

I don't think it supported itself off the top I'm pretty sure it used the low side rib for support, when I get a chance I'll see if I could look at the drawings.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:01 pm 

now pete if you want to make some money, invent a self working cm that will work under water and bring it up here to the northern field! then we will be making the big bucks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:02 pm 

That place was only 15 deg. at the outcrop. It got a lot steeper than that in a hurry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:02 pm 

Hell the CM's are sealed. We can just mine it & float the coal out. I am not game for scuba gear everyday though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:46 am 

At Kimmels, When the engineers came up with their plan is there any way that they could have known the pitch problems they were potentially going to encounter? It's a shame this happened but I take it there is a lot of coal left just needs to be mined in a more traditional method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:59 am 

OK gonna try not to make this a war between bitty and anty miners cause, I could care less. There are things you can do to mine on a pitch. I 've worked in some mines that had an 18 degree pitch. Aracoma is that steep for about 32 breaks at 110 foot centers. I had a section foreman that went to Arkansas to mine coal and he said it was very steep they had a joy 12 cm miner and joy 10 sc Shuttle cars with chains on them, yep tire chains. How hard core is that? Had a small punch hole in Mcdowel County WV, Yep Pete you've been there, it got so steep in; I think the fire creek seam(which is known to roll real bad) they welded cleats on the bottom of the cat pads on the miner. Also, how do you think that most mines develope thier belt and track slopes, Yep with a miner. ICG beckley is a about 22 degrees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:01 am 

through test drilling and core samples from the surface on top of the Williamstown mtn.....which they actually did....so who knows what they were thinking. I've heard numberous times "they knew what they were getting into, and jumped in anyway" ...don't really know what they though. I remember when that mine started, everyone in the coal business was saying it'll never work. unfortunatly, they were right.

No worries though.. Mike As gunna buy it. Hes gunna run it with 10 men and a drag. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:34 am 

:roll: OH BOY :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:57 pm 

The problem here is they were going across the pitch not with it. If they went with the pitch they probably could have made it work easy enough. As I said before you could only go straight in 2000 feet or so. I guess the idea was they were going to go in so far and than go across the top of the mountain. If they could have did that in theory they would of had something like 4 or 5 miles of solid coal to go after.