Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kimmels Mine Closed
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:59 pm 

I heard Kimmels Underground Mine out in Williamstown recently shut down....

Didn't they just spend a lot of money on the mine? Weren't they using a continuous miner?
Anyone else hear anything?

M.T.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=10145

http://mst145.rrpicturearchives.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:06 pm 

well it happened just like everyone said it would. basically too much an investment for too little coal. they were down to 2 feet or so, and the pitch was heading down. just like everyone said, you cant use bitty mine technology in an anthracite mine. however one person said you could so they went that way and see where they are now. someone can take that place over with 10 men and a drag and put out twice the production they were getting with that silly continuous miner. mike a. should have more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:23 pm 

They were just hiring last spring......

miket145 wrote:
From the Feb. 20, 2008 Pottsville Republican & Herald:

KIMMEL'S MINING, INC. Is accepting applications for * Underground Coal Miners * Equipment Operators * Maintenance Personnel At it's full mechanized Williamstown Mine #1. Salaries commensurate with experience/ qualifications/certifications. Benefits package including Health Care and 401k. Experience preferred but not necessary. Apply at Meadowbrook Coal Co. In Lykens, Pa. Or send resume to Kimmel's Mining, Inc. PO Box 8 Williamstown, PA 17098 For more information Call 717-453-7922 kimmel's mining

I feel bad for those miners losing their jobs in this shitty economy......

M.T.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=10145

http://mst145.rrpicturearchives.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:26 pm 

I get past that site on 209 quit a bit. I actually looked up at it today looking for coal dropping off the belt. No coal today and none last week. This explains it. Man that was alot of $$$!!!

Showers sold his mine to work for Kimmel. Is the Showers (Tito) mine still operating? How many are still in operation on that side of the mountain?

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:28 pm 

I hate to hear about any mine shutting down. Is there no way they can pull the pillars and get a little life out of it?

Last edited by Coalfire on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:28 pm 

The continuous miner is not the problem. Hell the problem was it mined it so fast that they ran out of coal. That is what happens when you use good technology. 2ft veins really are not cost effective to go after anyway no matter how you mine it,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:39 pm 

no, the vein gets bigger as you go down the pitch. its a virgin vein they definitely didnt run out of coal they have only been mining for what, a year? the miner was the problem, again, yet one more time, how do you run a miner on pitch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:47 pm 

That vein is bigger (usually) than two foot, closer to four foot. plus you can only go in 2000 feet before it really takes pitch on that mountain. They had two big problems there. The first guy they had as a consultant knew nothing about anthracite and they second big problem was the pitch was at the extreme limit of what those machines operate at. They had big time problems with the miner sliding down the pitch into the low side rib. They would have been much better off driving a rock tunnel somewhere along the mammoth and just long hole it. They would have put out just as much coal as harmony does but with out any mechanized equipment just a couple of cars and a motor or two. On a lighter note Kimmels is looking for someone to run that mine conventionally (for anthracite) and more than one person said that wouldn't be a bad place for a mine, just stick with the basics.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:49 pm 

I would not be a bit surprised if that miner was only running a year. It did the same work in a year as it might have taken them 5 yrs + to do. The tonnage output again is the purpose of the mine. The more that comes out the more they get paid bottom line. The problem is that you can not mine the mines long enough to justify this bad ass equipment. It just cleans the coal out at a pace they are not used to. These things rarely stop. I am sure if you compare it to the traditional methods their is no comparison. What they should do is sell the mine to someone that would pick up where they left off using Anty traditional mining methods while the infrastucture is still good.

COALFIRE: What tonnages per day do your CMs put out per 8 hr shift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:49 pm 

just so this doesnt turn into another battle like it does everytime with pete..... :roll: there is nothing wrong with a continuous miner, they have their place where they work just fine and dandy. that place just isnt here. just so we get it straight, since you are an expert on these things pete, how do you get one to run on 30+ degrees pitch? do you chain it to the high side rib and have guys work come alongs? or i guess you can attach a drag to it and pull it around?

Last edited by Chris on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:51 pm 

They damn thing can't run an eight hour shift if it's laying like a beached whale in the rib now can it?

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:52 pm 

I disagree - - - I think they should be used where the vein flattens out. It is mined so much easier but what they should do is engineer the mine so they don't get stuck where the CM stopped. Thye should be able to trasition back to your good old methods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:53 pm 

Now see Mike A. just had to chip in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:53 pm 

how exactly do you do that, put jacks under one side of the mountain and tilt the whole thing :?: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:56 pm 

No - - -geeeeez just use the miners at the flat pitch. The best idea is for a contracting company to own these CMs & when a particular mine hits those conditions bring them in & clean it out.