Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shirleys Colliery UK Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:36 pm 

woah! now thats what i want..... not like we have never been through small holes in someones back yard though! but thats great. i like the small vein, and how they rounded the top of the vein to make an arch for greater natural support! thats real cool, how deep is it? judging by the shaft you descended it doesnt look that deep, unless that photo was just taken from the bottom.

http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... hp?t=19924

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:41 pm 

Hi Chris,

Shirley’s is a dream come true, how many des res’s can boast a coal mine and two air raid shelters in their garden! The only problem is that the house is slowly slipping into mine and is straining at the leash to get down there. Shirley is currently fighting a 10 year battle for her claim for mining subsidence, looks like a no brainer to me.

The mine possibly dates back to the 18th Century and was certain to have had children employed there due to the size of the workings. It is also thought that a pony would have been used to haul the tubs out due to the wooden track that is still insitu, the baskets that the ponies and children hauled would of have been of the sledge type with no wheels. All through the workings you can see where the baskets have been rubbing against the coal columns over 300 years ago! There is not a pit prop to be seen in the workings, the roof which is Ironstone is supported by the columns of coal that have been left at regular intervals.

The workings are approx 7 metres below ground, close to the house runs a road and whilst underground you can hear the noise of horses trotting along the road, extremely unnerving and surreal at the same time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:55 pm 

thats awesome!