Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:19 pm 

You better get some coffee and preparation-H. Coffee to keep yourself awake cause, a buggie is boaring, and the preparation- cause your gonna get hemroids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:26 pm 

NICE. . . If I had my choice I would like to be on a longwall panel move. . . there are always records to be broken there & big a bonus to get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:32 pm 

Sounds to me like this High Production Bity Mine is more of a pain the ....

than the Antys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:39 pm 

Well the Anthracite mines are no cake walk but at least your moving around a lot. Sometimes it's harder just to run equipment than it is to push buggie or set props.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:03 pm 

Every Job has its moments.

I've got one that is physically real cushy. But, it takes a real mental toll some days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:05 pm 

Thats what I mean. I have days when I go home beat but I feel more tired when I'm not moving around much. I really don't know how some guys can do that, I don't mean that in a negative way either.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:09 pm 

Oh those high production Bitty mines are like an underground city. You really need to go in each so you can compare.

I like both types Anty & Bitty

but standing on a 1250 ft longwall machine as the cutter passes by and 10's of 1000's of tons of the earth collapses behind you as the panel advances forward. . .total different rush. Watching anywhere between 300-500 miners working together underground as a team to get the coal mined & out is an unbelievable task. There are headaches with anything we do in this day in age. Hell in regular industry it is no different for us. We have to follow osha & additional safety guidelines set by the companies. Anytime we step into a Bitty mine & go through the safety training the superintendent speaks up almost everytime and says "We take safety as our #1 concern and many of the rules created were from previous accidents and some resulting from a miners death" . It makes you stop and think everytime let me tell you. As a contractor myself safety is our main concern too.

I do agree some rules should be changed for Anty mines but at the same time I understand why the rules are there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:23 am 

Well if you are wanting in on a move, now is the time to do it. Our longwall is scheduled to hole out by X-mas. The next panel is cut in, and the set up is about half done. After they hole, they are going to tear that one down and send it out for rebuild.

As for the production, the L/W is has to move 1750 shields a shift to make budget. The C/M units have to run 85 feet to make budget( yea I am thinkin the same thing). Bonus is at 135 for the C/M. We should be bringing our footage up , we have a new face boss and we are going to go to 11 entriesand 2 miners.

The new scoopguy has been there about 2 1/2 months, and this was his first time up on a unit. As I was showing him what he needed to be doing, I tried to get him oriented in the mine. I hope that my first time up there , I didn't look THAT scared. I finally just told him that if all else fails , follow the big yellow hose........ :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 pm 

:lol:

Probably most of your guys have absolutely no mining experience coming into the job?

We'll bee happy with our 4 feet a day in the rock tunnel.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:10 pm 

yep.... until we hit the 50 foot vein! should be close now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:38 pm 

In straight pitch I'm not sure a 50 foot think vein is that impressive.

Assuming it only extends a few feet horizontial.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:40 pm 

hey! yes, but you mine it vertical so it is impressive! with a vein that thick, you long hole your chute, make one big blast and then that chute will fill up with nearly a years worth of coal loading about 25-40 tons a day out of that single chute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:45 am 

Thats 50 feet thick, miles long,outcrops near the top of the mountain, runs down the valley,than back up the mountain on the other side of the valley!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:25 am 

Mike,

I understand what he is saying. I'm just playing dumb on this one and over-torqueing him a bit. Playing with the terms.

50' is a lot of coal for little work. In the surface world a big factor is the overburden to coal ratio. Historically 12 to 1 was considered the breaking point for profitable. Now that has been pushed to 20:1. In theory in 50' vein you could remove 750 to 1000 of overburden and be profitable. Of course I doubt the theory holds that deep.

I'm trying to remember if this is No 9 or AB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:40 pm 

Sorry I just had to jump into part of my tour speach, it happens from time to time! Remember we will be mining the 50 foot middle split and the 25 footish bottom split at the same time if things work out. This is at Alfred Brown 7ft slope.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next