POTTSVILLE REPUBLICAN & HERALD
Wednesday, December 24, 2008

PALO ALTO — The orange is spreading.

“This doesn’t only affect us, it affects the whole borough,â€

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=10145

http://mst145.rrpicturearchives.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:14 am 

Almost the same situation in the 60's before the Old Forge borehole was drilled. A bit off subject. Heres a thought to ponder. Ok let me get this strait. The state came in to drill a borehole to relieve the preassure. The mine water was going to flow into a storm drain. And being a storm drain, eventually into a stream, river etc. Now that water wasnt to be treated. BUT if it were a private interest it would have to be treated at a great expense !!!! Banks and I saw a video that Rodger at the Lacka. coal mine tour produced concerning the Porter tunnel/mine. One reason it closed was the water,and the cost cost to treat it. The point of the video was to bring attention to this exact scenario. DEP drills a borehole, and they can dump it untreated. But if your a private interest. that same agency that is allowed to dump water untreated will site you and shut you down ? I always brought this up on my tour. Perfect example is the Old Forge borehole. The state owns and maintains it. yet no treatment . Sound Fair ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:42 am 

I had heard through word or mouth that they (Lickman) wanted to re-open the tunnel. The biggest reason why it never happened was the PADEP cannot find any of the bond money that was paid all those years to help support the treatment of AMD. Lickman didnt think this was fair that he would have to pay for the treatment solely. Never did find out from my source if they ever continued the search for the bond money???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:19 pm 

Most interesting... I'm going to have to go for a ride to Pottsville this week, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:45 pm 

What has been the situation since? As to the stuff surrounding DEP--we have it here too. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:46 pm 

What has been the situation since? As to the stuff surrounding DEP--we have it here too. :roll:

Last edited by blownoutcylinder on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:26 pm 

I find it quite amazing the attitude your government in the states shows to the legacy that mining leaves behind. Take a look at the way mine water is treated in my part of the world.

http://www.forumforfree.com/viewtopic.p ... rthwestway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

They actually do put effort into treating some areas where there is run-out of mine water. There are quite a few projects I have seen where they built treatment areas for mine water drainage tunnels. There are certainly areas of untreated mine water, but many times the over looking of treatment was done to look out for the people. For example, after mining was done in the Northern Anthracite field, as the mine pool rose in the adjacent mines from the lack of pumping, people's basements began flooding and other catastrophic effects of rising water began to appear. As a result, they had no choice but to drill drainage bore holes to relieve the pressure. These efforts aren't always treated ideally though.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:31 pm 

http://www.shamokincreek.org