Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Film maker looking for more ideas
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:44 am 

Hello All

My name is Steve Looker i'm a documentary film maker based in Manchester, England. I've already produced a doc called Historical Disasters and i'm looking to do another. If anyone has a story to tell please let me know.

Historical Disasters tells the harrowing story of Pretoria where 344 men and boys died at the Pretoria Pit near Bolton, England. At the time Britain’s second biggest mining disaster.

Kind Regards

Steve Looker
http://www.reelvisionfilms.co.uk/pit.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:35 pm 

Steve,

The area where most of the people are from on this board is the North Eastern US, particularly NE and Central Pennsylvania (PA) but also West Virginia and Ohio. I'm just an hour North of the Scranton area but my family is from there.

I can tell you that the Knox mine disaster is the biggest from the NE PA region in recent memory. Happened in 1959 with 12 men never recovered. There is already a film maker producing a story about that. Also, one has been made many years back.

One other from the area that had many more casualties is the Avondale mine disaster. That was near Scranton/Wilkes-Barre PA, Plymouth actually, but is so far in the past it's all but forgotten. It happened in 1896 when a wooden breaker caught fire. The only entrance/exit to the mine was within that structure. 179 lost their lives in that fire. I think most died from smoke inhalation.

That might be a fun little project, although you will not have any witnesses to interview. The research shouldn't be too difficult, it's documented pretty well. Also, there are family members of the deceased that live in the area who may be able to tell you the story as it has been handed down to them. I'd start looking for fund-raisers for Avondale to find these people, I know this past year there was a group that was trying to raise money for a cemetary restoration or something like that. Maybe someone can chime in here with more info for you, I'm just going off memory here.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 pm 

how about a comparison between the techniques used to mine coal in england and northeast pennsylvania?

its been my understanding that many of the techniques used here had their origin in england and were brought along when the miners came to north america.

england must surely have a coal mine tour or two around somewhere. you could make a video in the tour mine of the early techniques used there then come over here to pennsylvania and visit the 3 anthracite mine tours and make videos of the methods used here.

i'd buy a copy of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:12 pm 

Sorry, Avondale was 1869, not 96. Derp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 pm 

As the co-director of the Anthracite Living History Group, which is incharge of the Avondale site I will have to suggest the Avondale Mine Disaster. Avondale oocurred on September 6, 1869 by the main shaft of the mine catching fire(which was the only way in and out) trapping 108 men and boys inderground suffocating them. And two rescuers totaling 110, BUT there was a 111 victim by the name of John Tougher who got ran over by a train at the Pittston Junction, on his way from Scranton to Avondale. Some people say Avondale might have been an incendiary act, which I strongly belive it was but that is another story. Avondale statred the first mining laws in Pennsylvana in 1870, then this law led to other states forming theres, ohio, ill., w. virginia etc. It was also the countrys largest anthracite mining disaster till this day, the relief fund rose over $155,000 which is equal to over 3 mill. today ! Dignitaries such as the queen of england at the time even contributed to the fun. If there id any thing else you would like to know PM me and ill give you my e-mail address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:39 pm 

There ya go Steve. Already an authority on the subject posted up and you're not even awake yet across the pond! He'll get you started in the right direction on Avondale if you'd like to do that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:30 am 

Hello

Thank you for all your ideas. I've also had a few emails, so thanks to you all. I will keep you all posted on our decision and if we move forward on any of these ideas.

Regards

Steve Looker