Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:27 pm 

so is there anything new on the breaker as of now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:30 pm 

Im glad because the I dont believe in eminent domain (big government : (
plus look at Steamtown and how it hemerages cash. Hey Im all for historical preservation but if involves big govt Im not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:39 pm 

I will totally disagree with you on that. I have been to so many government operated mine sites across the country & everyone I have been to lacks funding. They are are very minimal operating budgets which does not even cover proper staffing and maintenance costs. The disappointing factor is that the facilities could be improoved for a spectacular tour but the funding does not permit it. The 190 is in the same boat in your area.

One thing to keep in mind looking at the Huber project it is almost physically impossible to tackle that project for historic preservation on a private level. It will really require government funding and or assistance to achieve the preservation goal unless you have one rich person that really wants to perform the task themselves which I don't see that happening at all.

Bottom line if you travel overseas museums are appreciated at a much higher level by the people and also by the government. I have never quite understood why the emphasis was not put into our historic infrastructures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:50 pm 

i visited this place in the summer- it was amzing and very well done- really wish we could have something like this-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zollverein ... References

this place is awesome- i have pictures but i cant get them online yet- the place is beyond words, almost everything is restored and you can tour almost all the buildings- same goes for a blast furnace site in Duisburg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:49 pm 

i think thats what brian was saying........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:56 pm 

No - - he said if it involves big government then he is not for preservation.

Brian correct me if I am wrong but I think you are combining eminent domain & government operated museums together. I am not always for the eminent domain part but would like the government to assist a little more in historic preservation projects

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

I can understand and appreciate the non-government involvement thing, but the problem is that history should be should be something for all to enjoy. Private individuals or companies generally just don't have the means to fund stuff like this. Donations are great, but not everyone can donate. History is what makes us what we are. Government funding and grants can save an area for future generations to enjoy and it also helps the economy in the surrounding area.

While I certainly don't like eminent domain, in a case of having history potentially destroying for no good, I don't particularly see a problem in this case. This is the kind of thing it would be useful for. If the property owner decides to sell the breaker for scrap, that it.. There is no coming back of the Huber Breaker. I am against the abuse of eminent domain, but taking over the breaker to save it, certainly does more good then harm.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:33 pm 

if it were me, theres coal under it,.... id scrap that old junkin' thing make a buck then sink a big fat slope right through the foundation and make more! hahahaha yea!!!!

and then, id intersect old works and take a few skips off the pillar under mike a's house and sell him the coal! then sit back and wait till he takes his 5 gallon pails of coal into the basement and piles it up. about 2 tons is all it will take to weaken that foundation and he will be right down there, in the little vein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:58 pm 

As far as government being involved with historical attractions the do seem to screw things up pretty good but at least some stuff does manage to be preserved that otherwise wouldn't. The good thing with the No.9 and Pioneer Tunnel is the are both private operations. A lot of volunteer hours goes into both. Both are in good shape financialy and end the year in the black with out government assistance. And as far as Chris's ideas for the Huber, if your going to do that go big or go home! Get one of Pete's precious long wall set ups and take it all out! Be for warned though, I will make sure the slope is sealed with that pile of junk and you............. down there!

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:49 pm 

any new developments on the breaker though..........?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:15 pm 

:lol: ya never know mike there may just be one down there now! we can just fire it up!

seriously, no. no new developments except i started tipple construction today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:24 pm 

Chris wrote:
: i started tipple construction today.

:?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:09 am 

I can't believe the land owner wants so much money for his property. You wonder if its more then that. Maybe he thinks he will get a higher about if a "Ashley Walmart" would move in. I can't believe that the owner would think theres something worth mining down there.

On the other issues...
On one side I can see how its not the right time to start a project like this, but at the same time it should be done. I wonder if they can adjust their plan to lower the cost. Maybe even have it that they only go after the funding for one phase of the project, I dont know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:39 am 

If the economy keeps spiraling down many people are going to have to adjust their prices.

He may have got his numbers when scrap was extremely high but now it is down where it was almost 7 or 8 years ago. I really do not see it coming back up to the record prices that appeared for just a very short time span.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:50 pm 

OK let me clarify my point of view.
On its face, would I rather see the Huber saved, even in its current state than demolished, yes, but....
....Do I think the county should force ownership rights away from Mr. Roman invest millions of taxpayer dollars into it and run the site, absolutely not. Im all for government lending a helping hand in terms of funding to a private organization or individual who wishes to preserve the building, but that is it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next