Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: conlon coal company
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:23 pm 

Anyone have info on the Conlon Coal Co of Plains Pa. They were an independant coal operator who mined under lease of other, larger corporations such as Glen Alden, Hudson, Pa coal, etc, This was done quite often as it became unprofitable for the larger to mine certain areas thus creating a cottage industry of independent coal operators. There were many such operators in the area, one of whom, The Volpe Coal co, held 35 leases from larger co's and was controlled by NEPA crime Boss Santo Volpe, a predecessor of Russel Buffalino, anyhow, sorry I got side tracked, I am interested in the Conlon Coal co because I know John Conlon, the grandson of the founder personally. Any info is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:50 pm 

What do you want to know? My great graandfather was a forman for Conlon and he lived directly behind Conlon and was a freind of his

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:40 pm 

he have a grandson named patrick conlon from the laflin area??

Post subject: Re: conlon coal company
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:49 am 

John Conlon was actually my great-great grandfather. I found this site while curiously poking into some family history. Not only did he operate mines in the Wilkes Barre, Pa area, he also owned much real estate in the area known as Fairmount Land Trust. Over the years the land was sold piece by piece as a source of income for John's heirs. We still have approximately 107 acres of land left from him located in Bear Creek, Pa. The Wilkes Barre Historical Society is a good source of information on local coal operations. John's daughter was my great grandmother. The same as any other story around here, when coal dried up, so did the money.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:49 am 

He was my great grandfather....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:40 pm 

John Conlon was MY great grandfather as well-!
I believe he had between 14-17 children, so it's no surprise that there are a lot of Conlons. My mother's father was John F Conlon Jr, and her brother was John F Conlon III, (died in Vietnam after being declared an MIA for many years). I don't have a lot of information about the coal company, other than that there was a large family divide that lasted for years after the company was sold. Any information would be appreciated by both my 5 siblings and me. thank you-