Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Connell's march on Oxford
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:48 pm 

I came across this advertisment in a book from 1900, that was in a box of papers I received. Interesting story. In February 1920 # 9 school was rocked by a subsidence, while students were in it. Because of that ,a court order was issued that " pillar robbing" was NOT to take place. The mayor with a contingent of police entered the mine suspecting it was still being performed. The coal company received prior notice of the inspection, and tried to deceive the inspection team. Even going to the extent of erecting " paper" pillars, painted black. One of the policemen leaned against it and fell through !! The team was routed from the mine and the mayor and the team had to enter through a slope over a mile away ( cork and bottle) . Because ,upon returning to the mine with a larger contingent of police , the hoist ooperators sent the cages to the bottom of the shaft at full speed.They had to make the three hour journey underground through mud up to there waists. After finally gaining access to the lowered cages, a fist fight ensued. The police prevailed, and the Oxford mine was shut down permanently. Never to reopen again . In an ironic twist, 40 years later( 1960) the area was again plagued by a large squeeze, over Oxford workings. A squeeze that has expaneded even to the present day !!! Longest running subsidence ever. Just Thursday a water main ruptured because of the mines settling.