Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt Union area
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:03 pm 

I dont know if anyone has been here yet but the Mt. Union area has alot of cool stuff. There is a old East Broad top yard in Mt. Union with old coal cars, box cars and ruins. Plus this yard has narrow and standard guage transfer facilities. Also in Robertsdale is a company office, ruins of a tipple and mine fan and two or three mine openings. All along the EAst Broad Top line are cool mine remnaints. Including two tunnels that are amzing to see.- - Be careful though, i ran into the property owner of one tunnel who was not appreciative of our intrusion and had a loaded rifle to prove it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:28 pm 

We were there many years ago. Since then the Mt. Union rail yard is an active standard gauge yard. You should stop to get permission before walking onto the property.

There are a few cool mining spots along the line but the water table is very high in that area. Great trip for industrial / mining explorers. There is also a preserved coke oven towards the end of one of the EBT abandoned lines if I remember correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:03 pm 

I was wondering about the railyard, we saw that the tracks in some parts were clear and looked used but we didnt see any active trafic- is part of the yard used and part abandoned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:38 pm 

The three foot gauge is not used but like anything if it is an active site it is not abandoned. Do you have any of the books on what the Mt. Union rail yard used to look like ? It is pretty cool, if you don't have them we buy most of our books from Ron's Books (New York area). He has a great selection. Last time we were there is when they just put a new roof on the engine house. There is still one of the original standard gauge EBT steam engines inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:06 pm 

neat- we didnt have to much time becasue we dawdled around down near robertsdale and looking for the tunnels-which were amazing to see