Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:54 pm 

Not all inspectors are bad guys, we have it the same way on the surface, It's not just the underground inspectors. But the thing that gets me everytime is that some of the rules and regs are a gray area, which is left up to the interpretation of the inspector. I've had to deal with it a number of times, one inspector says everything is fine and another says it's wrong, who do you listen to. It just doesnt make sense to me personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:14 pm 

Jt wrote:
I've had to deal with it a number of times, one inspector says everything is fine and another says it's wrong, who do you listen to. It just doesn't make sense to me personally.

You are right, it does not make sense. But, if you understand that Federal Regulations are rarely written from start to finish. They are put together and changed a phrase at a time. This results is conflicts. Then there are situations that come up the writers didn't consider. Or a rule is written to fix one problem but causes another.

As an operator, you just have to keep you ducks in as straight a row as possible and know that at some point you will get pinged for something. Just try to keep it small.

Don't expect much mercy from an inspector on a gray issue if you have a history of getting the black and white ones wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:50 am 

From my experience if you give most inspectors a little bit of respect you'll get it back. They DO have to write a certain amount of citations wether there is a violation or not. I don't know if that is written MSHA policy or not but that came right from more than one inspector. Usually you treat them pretty good and most citations will be written up as non S&S and/or low negligence. Now that being said there are some inspectors that are such tarts it doesn't matter what you do. They come in and start writting every little chicken shit thing up no matter how insignificant it is. And MSHA definitly does treat the Union operations better than the non union, not only here in the Anthracite but every where.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:54 am 

It is just like the DOT. If the dot pulls you over in a big truck you are going to get a ticket for something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:34 pm 

Well.....
if you're a girl you might get away free from DOT.

:mrgreen:

I don't like the Leesburg, VA guys.
Not nice at all.

~Shana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:29 am 

VA and the fuzz are a sore subject with me. It cost me $500 to drive through VA once. I may have been going to fast but come on

You know i bet there is somebody sitting in an office comeing up with new regulations for mines 24-7