Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nay Aug mine?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:09 pm 

Hello!

I haven't been around here in a long time! A question came up tonight that I thought you guys might be able to help me out with.

Do you know anything about a Nay Aug mine? I don't mean the model Brooks Mine in Nay Aug Park, but an actual working mine. A friend of mine was reading a book about the year 1900 and it mentioned something about a cave-in at a Nay Aug mine. Supposedly a few dozen miners were involved, and they were able to escape. No one I've asked knows anything about it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Zhanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:38 pm 

Took a quick look at the maps. Located near the softball field in the " Little England " section of Scranton adjacent to Roaring Brook ( north of the park itself) there was a small drift, with limited workings that entered the Dunmmore No 3 vein. It was located in an area mined by the Pine Brook colliery. Although it was to small to be an actual part of Pine Brook. Probably a small independent operation. This has to be the mine your friend was reading about. The Dunmore No 2 outcrops before the park. Actually the park boarders on the outcrop itself. When ASP 12 phase 2 was conducted the Dunmore No 2 was mined within eight feet of the surface. .Over the winter a friend of mine and myself went to look for this drift. It has ( as expected) been covered over by trash discarded from the predecesor to the CMC hospital, Henahan hospital. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:44 pm 

Took a look at another set of maps.... There was an actual Nay Aug mine located near mile marker 185-186 of I 81. In the gorge adjacent to Roaring Brook. It would be near the Drinker Street exit of I 81. Also took a walk looking for this mine, it was covered over during the construction of I 81. In the 1960's. I also remember reading about this mine in PA mine inspecter reports. Seemed like a dangerous mine, as there were alot of " mishaps". The maps I saw shows dates from the 1890's. , If I had to guess I waould say this Nay Aug mine is the one your friend read about. A much larger operation than the drift located under Nay Aug Park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:09 pm 

That's very interesting! Thank you!

What maps are you using, out of curiosity? Where can I find them?

Zhanna