Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MSHA Tracking Requirments
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:56 am 

I found a few presentation on MSHA's Webpage but I didn't find the rule.

What are they wanting?

And why will it not work in Anty?

Or is it a matter of most Anty mines don't have the tonnage and revenue to cover the cost? I don't ask this to be mean, as it could be a reasonable reason. Not that MSHA will see it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:17 pm 

The cost is an issue but not the only issue. Some of the approved systems need line of site which isn't a major issue in a relativley flat mine. Not one of the operating deep mines here a really flat so you need a extreme amount of nodes to make certain systems work properly. Other systems can't be used close to explosives which we all know are used heavily in the anthracite. Other issues are all but the handheld radios need ac voltage at the mine site, not all of our mines have power at the mine site. The issue with the battery powered hand held radios is the don't even work well in the flat pitch let alone a mine with a lot of rolls or heavy pitch. And finally cost does come into play. Most of these systems cost 200,000$ or better.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:10 pm 

im gonna be working up at the 190 slope this sunday, ill talk to tom and see how their radio works. they have a hand held radio that you can talk to the hoist operator from the foot of the slope all the way up. which we know goes around 2 90 degree curves and has 3 knuckles. i think there are repeaters in the slope or a coaxile cable running the length of it or something, not sure. i know its not really what they are looking for and its a big hand held radio which would be so clumsy to actually use in a working mine it just would be impossible, but its a start. however thats just a communication system, they want a tracking system. maybe they work on the same principal, with the difference being you would be wearing some sort of transponder.