Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another pieace gone- Diamond
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:16 pm 

As if the loss of the Diamond fan house and breaker foundations wasnt enough this past month. The wash house at the Diamond # 15 ( seperate site from fan house) was demolished this past week. There wasnt much that remained of this building, But it stood for over 80 yrs. Chris you are the last one to take a photo of it. This leaves s concrete dynamite shack as the last remaining structure connected with the Diamond. And the wash house was the last originaly Glen Alden built structure of the Diamond. Its been a bad three years in the Northern field, Lackawanna basin. Lehman, # 12 slope, # 1 drift, # 179, Taylor breaker site, the list grows by every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:58 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:18 pm 

I know the feeling, in the past 24 years , I have watched has the Marvin breaker and surrounding buildings were demolished (1996 I believe). The area including four mine I knew of around the Archibald Pothole are gone(2000-2001ish). There were open strip-mine pits between Storrs and the area behind Harbor Freight, they were filled-in around 1990. Tripps Park section are now houses. Dickson City & Olyphant have lost many culm dumps. I not only explore mines but I also ride a dirt bike, many areas for riding are gone. They may have been private property and trespassing forbidding, but too bad. The large field starting behind Carbondale High School also has many open pits and building-all gone. Lucky I have some video of these places dating 1988 to 1996. I just remembered the smoke stack at the Underwood Breaker, taken down I think in 1993. I can think of so many areas in our valley that had mining history still intact as I was growing up, now I have to go to Shamokin and other areas to see anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:43 pm 

yea but look at all the walmarts and industrial parks we have now....... :roll: whatcha got on video? i have a pretty good one of the underwood smoke stack being blown down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:16 am 

I have video of the Marvin breaker & surrounding buildings taken from atop of the culm pile from 1990. Also the Underwood stack and buildings from 1989-1990. I might have more, I'll have to look. I also took 45 minutes of night vision footage of either Underwood or Eddy Tunnel, can't remember which till I look at it again. I think it was around 2002 or 2003. It's all on VHS & HI-8, I have a friend that can convert the video to a format that I can upload to You Tube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:35 am 

That would be great to see those videos. So much is gone now if it was not for people who document this stuff the younger generations would have no idea what made the region what it is today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:39 am 

Quote:
So much is gone now if it was not for people who document this stuff the younger generations would have no idea what made the region what it is today.

What you said reminded me of something that took place last year, I have a friend who heats his shop with Rice coal, he stores it in plastic pallet -boxes that are 40" x 48" x 4' tall. One day he had left one filled outside his shop, kids from Scanton High School were walking home and stopped to ask "what's that stuff". I was in disbelief that they did not know what coal was!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:06 pm 

its not all of us i actually know a few stuff and im only 14 . :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:33 pm 

thats cause you still live in the active region. i bet 90% of kids dont know theres mines under scranton/wilkesbarre until they take the lackawanna mine tour, or their grandpappys tell them about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:32 pm 

i agree wit chris , chris you have to come down to our school to do a presation about mining in our area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:42 pm 

hmm, we never did a presentation to a highschool class, talk to your teacher and have him contact me via email if youre serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:20 am 

yeah seriously u should ill
try to get him to let u come in . by the way its not high school its 8th grade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:05 pm 

Hey, that's a great idea. Imagine how many young minds you could incite to look up their family history and see if they were miners.

Good idea indeed.

~S