Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In-experienced coal miner
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:16 pm 

hi all. I just received my underground certification. I am having a hard time finding a job because i am in-experienced. I live in western Kentucky and was just wondering if there is another way to get my hours in to become experienced or if you know of anybody hiring green hats. Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:19 pm 

Welcome Aboard.

There are a couple of Illinois Basin Folks here.

What are you wanting? U/G or Surface?

Here in SW Indiana some of the smaller mines are more likely to hire inexperience miners. But its non-union surface, if that matters.

Solar Sources is an example and has U/G and Surface. There office is in Petersburg, IN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:32 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for U/G jobs. I will have to contact solar sources tomorrow to see if there hiring. Is there anymore places like that around this area. Thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:34 pm 

hey man -

the only way to get your hours is to get a job in a coal producing mine. nothing hiring up here right now though. though this would be a heck of a move to come up to eastern PA for you.

How old are you? just curious..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:58 pm 

Black Beauty is a Peabody subsidiary, based in Evansville. Both U/G and Surface.

5-Star has a couple of S. Indiana U/G mines. I think there corporate office in Evansville. Their first mine is at Petersburg. Again they are a small independent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:14 am 

You can get a job with a belt vulcanizing crew or battery service company to get your black hat. Most do not pay very well but, its a foot in the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:03 am 

thanks for the replies. I called all of these companies and they are not hiring. Im willing to relocate but nothing to drastic. There is a lot of mines hiring around here but only for experienced. I wonder sometimes how they expect you to get your experience if nobody will let you.

UG Miner Banks: I am 28 yrs old. I lost my job in a factory because of the economy so i went after my coal mining certification. Also i am married and i have one kid and another on the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:57 pm 

hmmm.. yeah, sound like your a good candidate. Ever look into small independent mines? for some reason it seems like i've heard of some being around KY... Coalfire? Are there any little indy mines left out there like the anty mines? (4-5 guys..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:13 pm 

There were some small mines that had 15 or 20 guys near Gary, West Virginia all parts of the Black Wolf mines that are mining the left over US Steel stuff. I can't think of any smaller than that though & no real small independent mines. They just can't keep up with the safety regulations. If there are small operations they tend to be owned by a company & operate several small operations in one area is what I have noticed.

Oh there was a new mine outside of Charleston, Wv small (20-30guys) & just started up but I am for sure that it was owned by Massey Energy in some way. When we were there about two months ago they didn't say they were hiring. I think they transferred miners from other operations to get this one on-line.

Last edited by rail haulage miners on Thu May 14, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:23 pm 

OK, Pete,

Where is Black Wolf Mines?

Besides in the bottom of a steep, wet hollow or is it valley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 pm 

Doug they are in Gary, West Virginia where all the US Steel mines were better known as Gary hollow. The maps of this place will drive you nuts because there are three minable seams in that region (stacked on top of one another on the same mountain. The maps do not indicate what seam is being mined when it shows a drift entry. There are some mines on top of the mountain. middle & bottom. There was even one down there where there is a slope connecting the two mines of the two different seams together.

Prime example of confussion. Here is a mtn that has deep mines on all three seams. Standing here the middle has been stripped & deep mined plus then look up & there are more deep mines on top.

This is one of many on top. The hike will just about kill you to get up here not to mention the ice storm we were in at the time.

Oh for the miner looking for a job. I doubt they are hiring but check Dana Mining. They picked up a bunch of former Consol mines in the Morgantown, Wv area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:23 pm 

If I remember my WV Geography, Gary is southeast central part. As I recall it was mentioned a few times in the October Sky book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:54 pm 

You are exactly correct. Coalwood is not far from Gary . Gary was the main coal center down there though probably due to the fact the entire area was basically owned & controlled by US Steel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:24 am 

thats a neat looking operation.... that can't be good for the batteries to get charged from a hanging position like that!?