Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ashland area operations Hunter(s) Tunnel and GI Colliery
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:39 pm 

A friend and I went looking today for Hunter(s) tunnel and remains of the GI colliery or breaker. We did find what appeared to be a collapsed slope, probably a bootleg hole, some foundations remains and what possibly could have been a closed off drift, and then behind the former Goyne Pump now ITT there were metal remains of what appeared to be breaker parts & some foundations. Anyone have any additional information on these two operations. We were walking above the current R&N tracks on what we thought were the remains of LVRR tracks, East of Ashland. Thanks, Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:56 pm 

i would also love to hear about hunters if anyone knows. i looked for it about a month ago with no sucess. also any other ashland area sites would be appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:03 am 

navycaptain8 wrote:
i would also love to hear about hunters if anyone knows. i looked for it about a month ago with no sucess. also any other ashland area sites would be appreciated

Here's some info I got from the Anthracite history group on Yahoo.

The GI breaker burned down during the 60's. Some of the supporting buildings are still there including the boiler house. There are pictures in the "Girardville and Surrounding Area" photo album on this site. They show about all that is to be seen there.

Dave,

Oakland or "GI" Breaker was just east of Ashland behind ITT Industries:

Lat 40 46 49 N
Lon 76 19 27 W

Hunter Tunnel is one half mile west of Girardville, south of the R & N tracks and high up on the mountain. Main feature there today is the old fan house. Tunnel is sealed.

Lat 40 47 09 N
Lon 76 18 17 W

There are pictures on the Yahoo Group site if you join and look under the Girardville area. When we were there on Tuesday there were no building left from the GI breaker but the boilers and some metal framework was there.

If you decide to explore in that area let me know. If I'm available I'd be glad to go out too. Dave