Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:52 pm 

No substitute for a 6 foot belt. I wished that I could have worked in a mine with track haulage just to say I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:22 pm 

I worked at Eastern Coal Corp Federal # 1 mine in Grantown WV from 1972-1984. We used rail haulage and that was the reason the mine was shut down as the cost to keep up the haulage from the working sections to the rotary dump which was underground below the prep plant was considered too costly. Once the coal was dumped out by the rotary dump, it was lifted out side with a skip hoist. The haulage from the rotary dump to the working sections was up to 17 miles. All under ground with most of it going through the oldest part of the mine. One intersection on the main line had a 4 foot tall steel beam stretching accross the intersedction holding up the roof and the beam was sagging. Fed # 1 mine started mining coal in the late 1800s. the oldest workings around the rotary dump were narrow hand cut headings. The stables for the horses and mules used back then were still accessible into the early 80s. We also used 50 ton Jefferies along with 37 ton Jefferies to pull the 10 ton coal cars through the mines. In the late 70s I was the tipple operater for the longwall section and we loaded over 250 10 ton cars in one 8 hour shift. That was a lot at the time. We could have loaded more, but we kept running out of empty coal cars to load.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:18 pm 

On the subject of haulage. I came across an add from a rubber company that made conveyer lines. The Storrs installed a conveyer line back in the 40's from the mine to the surface (1700 ft). made the mining of that bed ( Big bed) profitable. Believe that was the first application of a conveyer line in the northern field.