Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loomis Colliery
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:56 pm 

I was just watching history channel, and they were doing a show on presidents. They were talking about the mediocre presidents after Lincoln and how the real people in power were big industry... Rockefeller, etc etc. Now when they said J.P Morgan they showed a clip of a coal breaker and it looked just like the pictures ive seen of the Loomis Colliery. Did Morgan own it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:08 pm 

i dont know much about the politics of it but but loomis was a DL&W operation. or glen alden coal co.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:22 pm 

According to my Wilmot Engineering manual Glen Alden owned Loomis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:32 am 

if you go up there there is a sign on a fence that says "privite property no tresspassing -J.A. Sordoni, owner" I was always interested in this, but figured at some point GA sold part of the property to sordoni (construction?) and judging by the sign this was prob 70 yrs ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:20 pm 

According to Tom S.. Pagnotti ( Lehigh Valley coal) operated and closed the breaker last. Glen Alden before that. Built by DL&W in 1916. Named after E.E Loomis vice president of the DL&W RR. This breaker was 196 feet high,126 feet wide and 130 feet long. One unique feature ( shared with the Storrs colliery in Scranton) was the breaker had sides entirely of glass. The four sides were comprised of 22,000 panes of glass measuring 13in X 24 in. And accounted for 93.5 of the entire surface of the breaker. At the time the Loomis was the largest breaker in the Wyoming basin, northern anthracite field. The Loomis was responsible for processing anthracite from seven beds under an area 1,247 acres. And containing an estimated 120,000,000 tons. It had a capacity of 7,500 tons per day. And was expected to run for 300 days a year. Giving it a capacity of 2,000,000 tons per year. More than twice the capacity of other breakers in the basin. Construction was under the guidence of Bradford Sampson, DL&W coal company. And was engineered and constructed by Gaylord & Butler company. It might be interesting to note Gaylord & Butler was also the engineers and contractors of the Pennsylvania coal companies Underwood breaker and power house located in Throop PA.

Source : The valve world magazine. January 1916. Published by Crane Co ; Chicago Il.