Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anthracite mines of New Mexico, interesting.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:54 pm 

Found some new info on anthracite mining in other areas of the United States. Found out that New Mexico had some anthracite mines, complete with a breaker !!! For markets in the south western United States. There were two mines owned by the Colorado fuel & Iron company. These mines were the Cerrillos or Anthracite A 28 mine ( the larger of the two) located in Sante Fe county and Anthracite mine B 33 mine located in Madrid. Mine B was located about 100 miles from mine A. And the anthracite was transported to mine A for processing in the breaker. Mine A mined a bed 3 1/2 foot thick which also contained soft coal. It mined this vein 2,600 feet underground and employed 48 men underground. Underground haulage was in the form of compressed air locomotives. Exploratory mining started in 1899. Actual production continued till at least 1910. At the time of closing the mine inspector stated that rich veins of anthracite were expected to be found about 3000 feet underground. But that the companies did not have the necessary funds to drive the slopes and shafts to thos depths. The only production figures I found were:

1903 83,340 tons
1904 57,944 tons
A 1907 report states that demad far exceeded supply. But that a shortage of miners decreased the supply available.
Although this pales in comparison to northeastern Pennsylvania's production. I thought it interesting . Funny to think of a breaker sitting in New Mexico !!!

http://books.google.com/books?id=Lb8UAA ... utput=html page 422

Last edited by miner490 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:10 pm 

huh, well maybe ugm will need a NM division..... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:23 pm 

"UGM Western division" ? Now Im curious what remains down there. And you know when I get curious. Cant let it go. Humm road trip anyone ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe on our next trip out west, we need to find some of these Anty mines.. I guess we need to start doing some research on if there are any still opened and accessible. Could be an interesting trip..

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:10 am 

Greg my sentiments exactly !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:18 pm 

I worked out of Albuquerque from 85-95. The only coal mining was bituminous in the Window Rock (NW) and Raton (NE) areas. The Madrid mines closed a long time ago. There are a number of mines there that have hundreds of souls entombed from explosion disasters.

Madrid has become an artsy town with the old company houses selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars. The Mine Shaft Tavern is a very popular biker (read doctors and lawyers) bar on the weekends. There was a Disney movie filmed there some years ago named "Wild Hogs" with Tim Allen, John Travolta...and others. But the grass, flowers, "Chili Festival", etc. were put ons for the film.

Since it is close to Sante Fe and there are a lot of movies filmed in the area, the Mine Shaft Tavern has even hosted some ..."wrap"? parties. Still an interesting small town.

Cerillos is a neat town also. There are some old Indian turquois mines around that area. The movie "Young Guns" with Estevez(?) and that guy from the show "24" was filmed there. I last went through there about 3 years ago and some of the buildings still show paint from the movie...the store where they had a big shoot out is still there. Neat town. If you go, go to the overlook in town, you'll get a laugh. There is a little store owned by a guy named Todd Brown at the overlook...has a bunch of little artifact stuff.

I sent Eric an old BOM publication. It has records of some significant disasters in Madrid.