Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trip results for southern field
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:03 pm 

this past week my dad and i went through the southern field. We first found a geocache and abandoned independent operation north of Tremont. Any idea who used to own it? its just east of where Rt. 125 turns west north of Tremont. Then we tried to go to the east brookside colliery remains but we couldnt find a access point that wasnt posted without hiking an extra two miles. Following that we went to the sheridan banks and brookside colliery above them. There we found HUGE amount of ruins above the banks but none of the slope entrances that i have coordinates for. Still worth it though becasue the ruins were very cool. Up there there are what seems like atv mile markers? any info on that would be helpful. then we went to lykens and walked through the german irish and eastern orthodox cemetaries. Following that we went to the lykens colliery? there was ruins of a powerhouse? lots of rubble and one remaining building. found an AMD spot and then hiked into the gamelands and found a collapsed mine but had to turn back becasue dad hurt his foot.

Any info on where the brookside slopes are, what the mile markers were for or info on the independent operation would be helpful. thanks i have gps cords if anyone is interested.