Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:31 pm 

NOW THAT IS WHAT HEAVEN MUST LOOK LIKE !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:50 pm 

yeah thats what i said when i was first in there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:49 pm 

Forgive my ignantsy (ignorance) but I'm v-chipped from seeing the photos right now. Do you have access to the maps etc? If so, can you possibly find info on the Enterprise slope in Plains Township? I'll have to look at what yous are atlking about when I get home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:43 am 

these are only of the lc&n properties, we would have a map of that at OSM already ill take a look for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:31 pm 

Sweet. If it helps any, it was on Powell Street, and they had an access road I believe from River Road. That road was Enterprise Road.

I thought it was Lehigh, but maybe not. When I built my first gondola, I asked my grandfather the name of the company. He told me it was Hudson Coal. So when I dedicated the car to him, complete with the Hudson lettering, he was very happy. He rode around the layout forever in it. But then he told me he worked for LC&N a few months later. :roll:

Maybe one bought the other, companies owned smaller operations, I don't know. But he drew a sketch on a napkin at a wedding for me and I still have it. It shows the basic track layout that was there.

Over the past year I've become more and more interested in having something about that mine and couldn't find anything on the PA State web site about it. A map would be so awesome.

I think you met my grandfather at the one picnic at No. 9. He wouldn't go in, but he loved chatting with the old miners in the museum. Anyhow, he's the one that worked in Enterprise. He still lives 2 blocks up from where the opeining was.

Last edited by johnr on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:11 pm 

hmmm john r. wants a memento from lc&n, ill see what i have here in the archives :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:34 pm 

Sweet. If it helps any, it was on Powell Street, and they had an access road I believe from River Road. That road was Enterprise Road.

I thought it was Lehigh, but maybe now. When I built my first gondola, I asked my grandfather the name of the company. He told me it was Hudson Coal. So when I dedicated the car to him, complete with the Hudson lettering, he was very happy. He rode around the layout forever in it. But then he told me he worked for LC&N a few months later. :roll:

Maybe one bought the other, companies owned smaller operations, I don't know. But he drew a sketch on a napkin at a wedding for me and I still have it. It shows the basic track layout that was there.

Over the past year I've become more and more interested in having something about that mine and couldn't find anything on the PA State web site about it. A map would be so awesome.

I think you met my grandfather at the one picnic at No. 9. He wouldn't go in, but he loved chatting with the old miners in the museum. Anyhow, he's the one that worked in Enterprise. He still lives 2 blocks up from where the opeining was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:34 pm 

well there was the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre which was a mix of the two early on but that was mostly the southern tip of the northern field and the middle fields

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:29 pm 

all of these photos except the first were from a lehigh and wilkesbarre coal co. mine.......

http://undergroundminers.com/bw8.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:57 pm 

Cool. I remember seeing those. He said the tunnels connected to others. Lately he only talks about the buildings up top, then he gets nightmares that night. I hate to ask him any more about it, but if he gets talking some time I'll ask how far he went to work underground, how many levels, how many miles the tunnels went.

Thanks for checking your collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 am 

So do I understand right, anyone can go to their office in Wilkes-Barre and look at maps or just request/purchase copies?

I was playing around with this link but it looks like it can only tell you the map number not look at the map.

http://mmr.osmre.gov/MultiPub.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:05 am 

for the most part, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:00 am 

Im familliar with the area. They are putting towmhouses there now. I think the enterprise slope in Plains was part of the Henry colliery if Im not mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:36 pm 

You are correct. The town houses are mostly complete, not sure they want to build more. They are having, as my grandfather predicted, some problems. The roadway has moved substantially. The units are filling with water a lot. He says that someday "they'll all fall in." Take a drive through there some time if you're up that way, if you don't mind bottoming out a few times on the roadway. :roll:

But yes, that's the location. I can't remember if it was Henry or not, but probably. He told me the lokie would take the full cars dwon the tracks and across River Rd. to a breaker by the river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:29 pm 

You are correct, Brian. It was in fact part of Henry.