Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:09 pm 

Ya, tap would work just fine. But stuff builds up on the plates, if you have distilled available it's better for it. You know how to fill them? I'll bring some distilled down wiff me. Plenty for everybody. You know where I got it, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 pm 

holy water???

hey chris, sell me your old one when you get that new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:41 pm 

roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:43 pm 

Naw, Holy Water burns my skin. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:35 pm 

I got one of those lamps and it was bone dry when it arrived. I filled it with distilled water and charged it for the first time and it burned for 6 hours. Charged it again and got 7 hours of burn time. Charged it a third time and it currently is on hour 9 and still going. :D Not bad for $25.00 and shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:15 am 

Scott, the BATTERY acid you added to my old battery the other weekend just about doubled the burn time on the first charge. This battery had sat dry for quite a while. I initially filled it with water and could only get 4 hours after repeated charging/discharging. Charged it after we added the acid and I got close to 8 hours.

That's good stuff! Do you have it in a more concentrated form?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:35 am 

John,
I do have more concentrated acid but I don't think you should add any more to it. If you add anything to it at this point use distilled water. Charge it and let it burn down until it has almost no light being given off. Charge it again and do the same thing until you can get it to the maximum burn time. It might take 4-5 charge-burn cycles to get it to where it holds its maximum charge. I did this to my new battery 4 times now and its up to 9-10 hours of burn time. Let me know how you make out. See you Sunday. :D

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:36 pm 

I just printed out 10 copies of the battery data sheets and the lamp itself to bring wiff me Sunday, everyone can have a copy. I'm going to bring some distilled water, too. Watch your acid levels. I'm sure our chemist here can tell you about that. Also, the distilled water probably is the best since there is nothing to build up on the plates. And, again our chemistry professor can probably testify to this, most municipal tap water will have chlorine in it and I'm not sure, but cholrine gas and acid probably isn't the best thing to be carrying close to your junk.

Someone have something to fill them with to bring Sunday? Need some kind of narrow tube looks like.

Scott: Leave your battery on the charger for 24 hrs, that's in the data sheet for after filling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:07 pm 

John,
You got it all right :D Distilled water is the best so that there are no side reactions going on that can effect the output of the battery. Some tap water would be fine but I wouldn't recommend too much of it. I will bring down some eye droppers that can be used to fill the batteries. I can't do it this weekend but next week I will bring a few gallons of distilled water down with me and leave it in the motor barn for anyone to use.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:28 pm 

you girls and your distilled starbucks water......... just get a coffee stirrer and suck up the water out of the ditch and spit it in the battery........ now thats anty style :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Nice.. My water in my town is VERY hard, it kills every faucet, valve and everything else in my house. I'm sure it can't be good for my battery! I will have to pick up some distilled water and see if it helps my runtime.

I wish they didn't ship them on, I'm sure that hurt the battery. As far as my 6V charger, after sitting on the charger over night, it got up to 5.2 V, then I unplugged the charger and it eventually went down to the 4.27 / 4.28 V. The 6V charger is a low amperage, so it is a little difficult for it to overcharge the battery. But I did keep an eye on it the best I could. The battery also never got even warm.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:12 pm 

That's good. Low aperage is the way to go for long charges. I am bringing three gallons of distilled water to the No. 9 this weekend for everyone. You coming down?