Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:17 pm 

if you can get it to last 10 hours thats a good lamp to me! they say 12-14, but who knows the usage and storage history of the ones you just got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:16 pm 

esaresky75 wrote:
Received my two today. Complete and functioning, both have a charge in the battery. I will manufacture a charging base later this week and a charger. For my knowledge, a good battery with a full charge will last how long with the lamp on constantly?

Awesome! My father says he should be able to build a charger, like I mentioned in my earlier posts. I'll keep everyone posted. Banks, thanks for the help as well. Ps-I'm going to shin kick you next time I see you for the phone call... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:47 pm 

I'll be sure to get a good set of shin guards then :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:25 pm 

Got mine as well. Both function just fine, both batteries have a charge. Looks like we lucked out and got a good deal. Cases look fine, one of mine was popped open on arrival and the box they came in was severely damaged, but everything seems to be in order. Nice find, man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Just got my pair on Saturday March 6th. I sent payment Feb 12th, so it took an incredibly long time to get these wheat lamps. Keep that in mind if you purchased or had purchased a set.

I just checked mine out, they were shipped ON, so the batteries have no charge and could easily be destroyed because of this. I need to figure out how I am going to charge them as not dealing with these before, it looks like the only way to charge them is to slide the head lamp in to something (other than taking the battery apart). I have a couple of rig up ideas, so it should be simple.

Anyone else have any luck with their lights?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:19 pm 

My lights came with a 4.04V charge and much quicker than your order did. Here's what I'm doing.

I ordered a 0V-15V (2A max) variable voltage power supply off Amazon for like 40 bucks. I got some banana clips too, so I can clip directly to the battery and put my meter in line for a more accurate reading than what the power supply meter would have.

You want to just pop off the battery case top, the + and - are very clearly marked. Slowly take your voltage up to 4.8V if your batteries are really dead, but DO NOT leave them alone. If they get warm, drop down to 4.7V, or even 4.5.

Anything above a 2.15V per cell will charge the battery. These are 2 cell batteries, hence the 4.3 volts at full charge. The extra voltage will clear any sulfide off the plates. Just don't go up to 5V like the manufacturer does with their chargers. That charges the batt faster, but kills battery life. Best bet is to charge between 4.5 and 4.7 volts. Every 3 months take it up to 4.8V and monitor it to clear the plates. This will get you a lot more battery life. Just do it for a while, until they get just a little warm.

I plan on leaving mine on 4.5V for say a week at a time, once a month wether I use the light or not. Then every 3 months take it to 4.8V for maybe a half hour or so.

Don't bother with charging through the cap light, that stuff is too close together and if it shorts out and you aren't there, you'll have a big mess.

For more info, go to www.powerstream.com and that should help you. Go to "technical resources" on the left. I Don't have my power supply yet so I'll let you know how I make out.

And if you read this then burn your house down, Banks forced me to write this. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:48 pm 

My power supply was on my porch when I got home, and I have sucessfully charged one of my lights using the above method. I checked on it every 15 minutes to make sure, and it didn't even get warm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:43 pm 

hey john i like the little disclaimer at the bottom. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:22 pm 

Ya, I don't think he saw it yet. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 pm 

I order one. Shipping was good, it took a charge and works fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:39 am 
Site Admin

I ended up charging mine with a 6V .75 AMP charger. I used alligator clips and a paper clip since I don't have the correct charger for these lights. It looks like the max charge mine take is 4.27V. They seemed to have a runtime of about 6 - 7 hours on the first charge. I guess I can try charging them again. One of mine has a bad bulb though as the second filament is broken. So it has no 'back up' bulb in it. Otherwise they seem to work good so far. Did any of you have to add water to your lights?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:49 am 

I had to top mine off. Charged it on an older Koehler charger and its good for about 9+ hours. Haven't run it to dead yet. Kinda wished I would have bought another one and combined the shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:44 pm 

ready to break that thing in this weekend doug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:06 pm 

Greg, carfeul with the 6V charger. Just keep an eye on them. One of mine takes 4.33 and the other 4.26 max. Not sure exactly how to add water yet, but if you do be sure it's distilled. I'll be there Sunday too, I'll bring both of my lights. And my brand new pink helmet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:55 pm 

john dont buy too far into the distilled water thing. i got my first wheat lamp in 02, the battery was from 97. its still going today, newt has it, and all i ever put in it was tap water. i got a new battery just because, and gave him my old one. still runs over 12 hours. even in my new one all i ever put it in it is tap water and have no problems. however i may be switching to the new smaller lipo battery soon!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next