Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taxation of the anthracite industry.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:52 pm 

I was thumbing through the story of anthracite, and came across an interesting article concerning how the anthracite operators were taxed by local municipalities and school districts. I used to say water and lack of a market were major resons the industry fell on tough time. And only touched on the taxation issue. But after reading that article and seeing exactly how they were taxed, made one word come to my mind...GREED!!! the operators were taxed by the amount of anthracite under the lands they owned, The period between 1880 and I believe 1930 saw taxs increase 300 %(?) in Plymouth borough. And if that wasnt enough they began to tax anthracite that was unmineable ( inaccessable due to thiness of the bed, caves, squeezes, etc. !!!!) Thats why alot of old timers will insist you cant believe the maps. Many times you will hear " they took out alot more anthracite then they showed". Often times this was the farthest from the truth. If anything you would want to show an area had no anthracite remaining. So you were not taxed as heavily. I know of one miner and his company in the the Wyoming field, mine anthracite for several years out of an area that was supposedly all robbed out !!!! If anything there is alot more anthracite left than we would be led to believe. Its just unfortunate that after king coal abdicated the throne. The citizens became the new tax payers in excess !!! Add this to the list of what went wrong in the anthracite industry. :idea: